This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Rompers are intimidating. A lot of people avoid them or even get disappointed when that perfect “dress” they saw across the store turns out to be a romper. They can be unflattering and made up of the weirdest proportions. I used to completely disregard them in stores, thinking they were specifically made for the supermodels plastered around the store and in the magazines. However, this summer changed my mind. I found tons and tons of amazing rompers (some successful and unsuccessful) and discovered why they are so popular!

Rompers rock if you can find the right one so here are some tips and tricks for those of you who want to try out the trend, are skeptical, or already love rompers and are addicted

1. If you’re looking for rompers, be prepared to try on loads!

More than likely not every romper you try on will fit well, and that’s totally normal. Don’t give up! They’re basically onesies and are not standardized whatsoever, so even between different brands they might fit differently. Also, I recommend ignoring the size (this is a good tip for any shopping trip) and just focus on how it looks on you, rather than what size you normally are.

2. Check out a lot of stores, and avoid online shopping for rompers!

Unless you have ordered from an online store before (or don’t mind returning clothes), I would avoid shopping for rompers online because they can be ill-fitting. Going to the mall is perfect because if one store doesn’t have what you’re looking for, you can check out another one. Some of my successful rompers have come from Gap, Charlotte Russe, Wet Seal, Forever 21, and H&M! (P.S. I have found a couple great ones at Target too!)

3. Rompers can be extremely versatile, so keep that in mind!

The great things about rompers are how comfortable and versatile they can be! Picture the freedom you feel in a dress, but then add shorts to that dress, and you can do anything (except maybe cartwheels). My favorite kinds are the ones that can go from daytime to nighttime depending on your accessories, or the ones that are great in the summer and can be paired with tights for winter.

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University