Reasons Why You Should Love the Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The weather in Atlanta has always been funky. There are freezing cold temperatures one day, school closes the next for a hurricane, and then there are moments when it is in the upper 60s in the middle of November. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case almost everywhere, with temperatures all over the country drastically fluctuating. Most people are happy with the warmer temperatures, but I am here to tell you that there are many reasons why you should love the cold.

Photo via Giphy

1.The Clothes

I am a Minnesota girl, tried and true, so coming to Atlanta was a bit of a shock, particularly for my wardrobe – I had a bunch of sweaters that never saw sunlight (or snow) for months. But the cold allows you to wear your favorite sweater or your favorite sweatshirt at all times of the day. The best part is that styling winter outfits is a lot easier and less complicated than picking summer outfits. Throw on a cute and comfy oversized sweater and you are ready for the day.

Photo via GfyCat

2.The Shoes

Boots, boots, boots. Booties, riding boots, combat boots, Doc Martens, rain boots…the options are endless. In my opinion the shoe options widen vastly during the winter. Embrace the shoe possibilities and embrace the cold.

Photo via Tenor

3.The Drinks

At the risk of sounding a bit basic, I will say that there are many drinks that taste better in the cold. Whether you are grabbing a tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, all of them are better in the cold because they can warm you up in addition to tasting great.

Photo via Tenor

4.Snow Sports

With the cold comes snow and with the snow comes snow sports. Whether you are a fan of skiing, snowboarding, hockey, or a good old fashioned snow ball fight, there is so much to do in the wintertime. The cold is great to enjoy the various sports and activities that come with the winter. Plus, you actually burn more calories when your body is also trying to stay warm while you are working out. If you are looking for a snowy experience in Atlanta, you should check out Atlantic Station for their winter themed nights and the ice skating rink.

Photo via Giphy

5.The Holidays

If it is cold in the Northern Hemisphere that means that it is also time for the holidays. There is so much to celebrate when it is cold outside. No matter what you celebrate, or if you celebrate at all, the spirit is what makes the winter so fantastic. With a change in the seasons, the cold means that it is time to hang out with your family and friends.

Photo via Giphy

6.General Coziness

From bundling up in blankets to sitting in front of a fireplace, the cold is the coziest season of all. Snuggling into the covers with a book or Netflix while the world outside is freezing is, in my opinion, one of the best perks of winter.

Photo via Tenor

There is so much to look forward to when the days get shorter and the temperature drops. Come back to this list if you ever find yourself wishing for July in the middle of January. And remember…winter is coming.

Photo via Giphy

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University