This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Before you read any further, there is a very key point you must understand: Lipstick is everything you ever need – ever. Seriously!

OK. I know exactly what you’re thinking:

Lipstick is for old people, or your grandma, or your great-aunt who comes to visit twice a year. Lipstick is for moms and people who have successfully found a snug place in the real world: driving carpool, paying bills, getting married, having kids and perpetually kissing you on the cheek. But here’s the thing: all those preconceived notions are completely and utterly false!

Throw out any and all ideas you have about lipstick and its association with the elderly/your mom/middle-aged crises. Lipstick is everything. Here’s why:

One: It comes in EVERY color. Feeling sad today? There’s a color for that. Feeling sexy today? There’s red for that, obvi. Feeling rebellious today? Plum is your shade.  

Two: There is no better sight than a delicate (or smudged) lipstick stain on your daily Starbies cup. Lipstick is sophisticated. It takes quite a deal of skill to create the perfect Cupid’s bow upper lip, and seeing that tender stain (a stain of care and concentration) on your morning coffee cup is an instant pick-me-up. 

Three: Lipstick is a reason to get up in the morning. There is a famous saying: “on a bad day there is still lipstick” – first of all this is a great tweet for the night-after a fight with your frat boy hook-up – but more importantly, nothing instills confidence quite like a perfectly sculpted, red-lipped smile. 

Four: Lipstick makes you stand out. Not many are willing to display their lips to their full irresistibly colored and candied potential. But, YOU can. Take the risk and make all your girls jealous when your neon pink mouth stands out more than the girls dancing on tables at Mags. 

Five: You can leave a mark on your man. Need I say more? Who doesn’t want to claim their man-candy with a nice puckered lipstick smudge? Just saying, if you want to mark your territory, paint your mouth and kiss him on the cheek. That simple!

So what colors should you stick to this season? From burgundies to subdued pinks to reds to oranges, you really can’t go wrong. Just don’t go too crazy and make sure you ask your friends to tell you if you look like a streetwalker first. 

Her Campus at Emory University