Rallying for Registration: A Guide to Choosing Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Registering for classes is an unnecessarily stressful aspect of college. It seems that no matter how great your registration time is, you can never manage to get into the classes you want. On top of that, there are so many things to consider when picking classes that it can be hard to know which classes to register for. Here are some things to keep in mind as you figure out your schedule for next semester.

Ask Around:

While Rate My Professors does have some detailed reviews on teachers, it is by no means thorough. Your best bet for finding out the important facts on a class (what type of lecturer the teacher is, how tough of a grader they are, etc.) is to ask friends and upperclassmen. Why take a class with a super tough professor if it’s going to be offered next semester with a better one? I chose half my classes based on the reviews and suggestions that I got on the classes and professors.

Keep Your Options Open:

It is nearly impossible to know whether a class is going to fill up before you register or not; you just have to be prepared and have various backups. When I registered for classes second semester of my freshman year, I only had the classes I wanted in my shopping cart and then had to scramble to find replacements when two of my classes closed before my registration time came. This time, I decided to be extra prepared and overloaded my shopping cart with classes—I even put classes scheduled for the same class times in case one closed.

Be Realistic:

I like to think that I am a morning person—or at least I used to think so. After having an 8:30am class this semester, I realized I might not be as much of a morning person as I thought. While it’s inevitable that you will have to take some classes with terrible meeting times, why put yourself through that if it can be avoided? Courseoff is also a great way to get a visual on how you classes will all fit together. Three classes back to back may sound manageable, but once you see what a big chunk of your day that is, you might change your mind.

Check Which GERs/Major Requirements You Need:

While taking classes just for the sake of learning is great and something I highly recommend, you want to make sure that you are knocking out those graduation requirements so you aren’t stuck filling a lot of them during senior year! Also, look at overlaps between requirements. Found a continued writing that’s on your major’s approved class list? Perfect! Don’t know what your major is? Explore around! College is the time to explore different subjects. So, take that Political Science HCS class even if you’re Pre-Business. You might like it!

Think About Post-College:

Don’t forget that there will be certain requirements you will have to fulfill depending on what you want to do after your time as an Emory undergrad. Even if you’re not dead set on what you want to do after college, check out what things you would need to have completed or do to get into a graduate school so you’re not taken by surprise once senior year rolls around. There are few things worse than figuring out that you need to study for the MCAT or LSAT junior year and realizing that you are also going to have to take a 20 credit course load in order to graduate all at the same time. Similarly, you don’t want to forget about any classes you’re required to have completed for whatever grad school you’re interested in!

With these tips, you’ll be on your way to creating the ideal schedule. Always remember: even if you don’t get the classes you want, avoid the post-OPUS freak-out. Add/Drop/Swap is a godsend.

Her Campus at Emory University