Never Take a Bad Picture Again!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Angle your hips, toss your hair, flash a sexy smile and don’t forget the concealer! Watch how easy it is to be photogenic!

Do the Sexy Hair Toss

The camera tends to shrink or dull hair in photos. To compensate, create volume by digging your fingers into your crown and scrunch hair right before the shot. It is a double plus to add a spritz of hairspray before you scrunch. This subtle move (a classic model trick) makes hair look thicker and less static.

Don’t Look Straight On

Looking straight ahead at the camera will do nothing but show the fullness of your face and reduce any natural shadows. Your face is more likely to look compressed so it is important to nail the angle of your face. Turn your face slightly to the side to create natural highlights and accentuate the shape of your face.

Master a Signature Smile

Although your go-to wide grin radiates warmth, it’s not your sexiest look. It is important to find an appropriate balance between a large grin to not smiling at all. Try something smaller and more mysterious. Practice by taking a deep breath and smile as you exhale, keeping your jaw open and unclenched so your face is relaxed.

Embrace the Overcast

Believe it or not, the diffused light of an overcast day is actually ideal for photography. Sunny day? Try to use faux soft light by using the camera’s flash settings in the sunlight. This way it will brighten and even out your skin tone.

Angle Your Body

This is an important one. If you angle your body directly to the camera, it will be nothing but unflattering. You want to stand in a slimming three-quarter angle extending one leg in front, pivoting and planting the corresponding hand on the hip. The result? A longer and leaner looking you in pictures.

Keep Your Head Up

No one likes the dreaded double-chin look. Make sure the camera lens is at eye level or above. If someone shoots you from below, you will look bloated and at least 10 pounds heavier. Always take your picture eye level or from above.

Concealer Can Hide It All

Dark circles? Pimples? Uneven skin tone? Concealer is your best friend prior to taking pictures. It hides away unwanted marks or spots and will leave you fabulously glowing on camera!

Her Campus at Emory University