Mary-Kate and Ashley Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

A girl’s childhood would not have been complete without Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Between their shared role as Michelle Tanner on Full House, their “You’re Invited” videos, their various book series, not to mention When in Rome, New York Minute, and the million other memorable movies they made together, this duo is practically perfect. And just when you thought they couldn’t get any more successful, they became the fashion icons we know them as today.

Though it may be hard to tell these twins apart by looking at their faces, it is easy to tell them apart by what they are wearing. Both have very distinct individual styles. Mary-Kate effortlessly pulls off the edgy bohemian vibe. Her usual attire consists of loose-fitting tops, long layered necklaces, funky fedoras, with her hair tousled to perfection. Ashley on the other hand is a bit more polished. She often sports loafers, fur coats, and a little more color than MK. Their constant appearances on fashion blogs and in magazines show everyone’s acknowledgement of these stylish sisters. 

Not only do they exhibit an amazing sense of fashion, but they also share it with the rest of us through their multiple fashion lines. In 2011 they created StyleMint, an online clothing line that targets the minimalist with simple and organic designs. The Olsens know that you can never go wrong with basics. Though some items do have small embellishments, or simple designs, the main idea of the clothing is essentials. StyleMint is known for the T shirts that are the base of their brand. These fashion gurus truly know the value of layering. In case we’ve forgotten, MK and Ashley remind us that less is more. 

Mary-Kate and Ashley’s line of clothing Elizabeth and James was launched in 2007. Ashley describes this clothing as “a clash between masculinity and femininity.” This tricky balance is established with these perfect complements. Whether you rock a masculine piece or a feminine frock from this collection, you will undoubtedly be the best dressed person in the room. 

Last but not least, there is The Row. Established in 2006, this line started out with the quest for the perfect tee shirt, which quickly escalated into a wide variety of clothing. Their goal was timeless, which every good fashion piece should be, and they definitely achieved this goal. Not only do they have clothing in this line, but they also have handbags. Nothing like a handbag to top off an outfit!

We looked up to Mary-Kate and Ashley as kids, and we most definitely can look up to them now. Whether you’re Olsen obsessed, or just have the urge to shop, check out Mary-Kate and Ashley’s fabulous clothing! These fashionistas don’t disappoint. 

Her Campus at Emory University