Marianne Florian, Past President of Emory Buddhist Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Marianne Florian, the past President of Emory Buddhist Club! Aside from being a doctoral student in the Graduate Division of Religion and a graduate of Candler School of Theology, Marianne is a teacher-trainee with the Emory-Tibet Partnership’s Cognitively-Based Compassion Training program.

Her Campus Emory (HCE): What inspired your interest in Buddhism and Buddhist Club?

Marianne Florian (MF):  People in our club have many reasons for being interested in Buddhism. Some were born into Buddhist families, some are Buddhist converts, some people are just interested in Buddhism for spiritual inspiration, information, ethical direction, or the healthy benefits of meditation practice.  Personally, I began practicing Buddhism at the Columbia Zen Buddhist Priory (Columbia, SC) in 2008. At the time, I wanted to learn meditation in order to improve my mental and emotional health. I became attracted to Buddhism from a religious standpoint as well, once I got involved there. In 2010, I officially converted to Buddhism, meaning I participated in a ceremony in which I took refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma (Buddhist teachings), and the Sangha (Buddhist community) and I vowed to keep the Buddhist Lay Precepts. I have been studying Buddhism at Emory since 2012.

HCE: What is your experience with mediation?

MF:  My personal experience with meditation began with Zen training at the Columbia Zen Buddhist Priory. I would attend meditation, ceremonial, and Dharma talks once or twice a week. When I moved to Atlanta in 2012, I began attending Drepung Loseling Monastery, Inc., where I practice different practice styles from the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, including sadhana, stabilizing meditation, and chanting. Drepung Loseling also provides excellent teachings on Buddhism and how to live our daily lives in accordance with the Dharma. I am also involved with Cognitively-Based Compassion Training, a secularized form of meditation inspired by the Tibetan Buddhist Lamrim and Lojong traditions. I have attended a few different meditation retreats in the past, and last summer I spent 3 weeks at Shasta Abbey and 2 1/2 weeks at Sravasti Abbey. These are Buddhist training monasteries in the U.S. that welcome lay-guests to work and practice with the monastics.

HCE: What are some of Emory Buddhist Cub’s upcoming events?

MF:  The Emory Buddhist Club is a student-led effort to provide a weekly opportunity for anyone with any interest in Buddhism to meet, practice, and learn. When Emory is in session we have a weekly meeting every Thursday at 6:00 in room 106 of Cannon Chapel at Emory’s main campus in Atlanta, Georgia. We also have periodic field trips to nearby Buddhist communities and centers. We welcome anyone, regardless of experience, point of view, or focus. For specific topics and dates, please see the calendar on our website at Emory.buddhistclub.org

HCE: How can Emory students get involved in Buddhist Club?

MF: The easiest way to get involved is to show up for a meeting on Thursdays at 6pm in Cannon Chapel room 106 (basement). Any of the club officers can recommend ways that people can help out, contribute, or volunteer their time, but the first thing to do is just participate and see if Buddhist Club is a good fit for you.

Her Campus at Emory University