How to Strut Your Stuff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Every outfit starts with your shoes. It takes one second to ruin it with bad ones, so rock your highest heels and follow this advice.

1. Ask yourself: Will my toes be safe?

When buying opened-toed shoes, always make sure the front is a tight fit. When it is too loose, your toes will slide forward. Too tight, your toes will be painfully smushed.

2. Check yourself out

Look in a full-length mirror to get the complete picture of your outfit with the shoes.

3. Use open space as a test track

One of the biggest mistakes women make when wearing high heels is not knowing how to walk in them. Tripping, stumbling, and slipping is never fun. Practice walking around in heels, and don’t choose ones that will terrify you at first.

4.Trade Black for Nude

A basic nude heel will create length in your legs, while black can often shorten legs.

5. Beware of the ankle strap

If you have muscular calves or larger thighs, ankle strapped heels are not your friend. Stick to a pump to elongate your legs.

6. A pop of Color Comes a Long Way 

Try to find a color that works with your skin tone. Bright heels can always make a statement.

Her Campus at Emory University