Hike Up Stone Mountain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Looking to get outside in the next few weeks and enjoy the spring weather? Why not try hiking Stone Mountain with friends!

I think we’ve all noticed how much more lively and happy campus has been this past week with the beautiful spring weather we’ve been having. Wherever you go on campus there are classes outside, people eating lunch at the tables outside of Cox, or tanning on McDonough Field after class.  People are itching to get outside, and this is the perfect opportunity to see new parts of Atlanta.  If you haven’t gone yet, definitely go hike Stone Mountain – you won’t be sorry!

I’ve definitely never been the hiking type.  I have always loved being outside but I wouldn’t necessarily call myself outdoorsy.  The only hikes I had ever really been on were the ones at sleepaway camp where you are twelve and you and a bunch of your friends race to the top to make s’mores (yum).  I’m 99% sure the entire reason I loved those hikes was because of the s’mores.

When I heard about Stone Mountain and the mile hike to the top I was so skeptical.  I kept hearing great things from friends about how easy, relaxing, and fun the trip was but I didn’t know if I’d have the same feelings about it.  Last week however, the beautiful weather convinced me to go out and try it with my friends, and I’m so happy I did!

If you’re trying to plan a time to go, I’d definitely suggest waiting for the weekend.  With no traffic, you’re looking at about a twenty-minute drive from campus, which I think is totally reasonable considering everything in Atlanta feels like it is separated by a twenty-minute drive.  There is a fifteen-dollar entrance fee, so be sure to have cash or credit card handy.  The pass lasts the entire day so there is no need for you to rush to the top or speed up your visit.

Once you park, look for signs for the 1 Mile Trail to the Top and then you’ll be all set to go.  The actual hike is easy – all you need is a pair of sneakers.  The path goes directly up, and there is no way you will get lost and be stuck wandering the mountain.  When I went this past week it honestly made for some of the best people-watching I’ve ever experienced, and it was a great opportunity to spend time with friends.  When you make it to the top there are plenty of photo ops (evidence seen on Instagram), and you can sit down and relax before having to hike back down. 

Her Campus at Emory University