This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Towards the end of the semester there are more than enough things to stress about, but your graduation outfit doesn’t need to be one of them. 

There are many things to consider when going out to buy your dress for graduation – think fit, length, fabric, color, etc. Especially here in Atlanta where you’re going to be sitting in the sweltering heat for hours, you’re going to want to keep certain things in mind.

First up is the fit. Remember that this is graduation and not some frat party. You’re most likely going to be taking pictures that are going to have a place of pride on your parents’ wall for a long time and you don’t want to look back at them and think “I wish I wasn’t wearing that.” So loose-fitting dresses are the way to go. Plus, looser garments trap much less heat, so not only will you look better, but you’ll be much more comfortable. 

When it comes to a fabric you’re going to want to pick something lightweight. Suede dresses, for example, are absolutely stunning, but that’s not going to matter if you’re slowly melting to death. Try a linen, cotton, or lace dress for maximum breeze!

As for color, stick with light ones! Dark colors absorb heat, while light ones reflect it. Yellow is a great alternative to white — it’s fun, radiant, and totally hot right now. Plus, you’ll be sure to shine in all of your pictures. 

Blue and white is a great combination for a classy, sophisticated look. Add a different color shoe for an extra pop!

So when you’re up on that podium accepting your diploma, remember this: we’ll be sad to see you go, but at least you’ll be going out in style. 

Her Campus at Emory University