Freshman Year Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Even though the school year is coming to a close, there’s still time to get off campus and enjoy a sliver of what Atlanta has to offer – and with this nice weather, there’s no excuse not to.  These are the 5 places that if you haven’t yet been to, or even if you have, are an imperative visit.

1.  Ponce City Market

Ponce City Market is hands down my favorite place in Atlanta.  Aesthetically pleasing and filled with countless food and shopping options, there’s something to please everyone.  With outdoor seating space just as lovely as its inside as well as access to #2 and #3 on this list, it’s the perfect place to spend a Sunday (or any day) doing work and lounging around.

Photo courtesy of whatnowatlanta.com. 

2. Skyline Park

Located on top of Ponce City Market, the Skyline Park is a hidden gem.  With a beautiful view and attractions such as mini golf, huge slides, and carnival games, you’re in for some good old-fashioned fun.  There is also access to an elevated beer garden.  Bonus: on Friday and Saturday nights, the park is 21+ for live DJ concerts.

Photo courtesy of justpeachyblog.com.

3. Walk the Beltline

The Atlanta Beltline is a New York highline of sorts.  Based on former railroad corridors, the beltline is actually a huge redevelopment project that will ultimately connect 45 neighborhoods through trails, parks, and modern streetcars.  With year-round public art exhibitions along the trails, the beltline is the perfect excuse to spend the day brunching and walking it off.

Photo courtesy of rickholliday.wordpress.com. 

4. High Museum of Art

The High Museum of Art is the leading art museum in the southeast, and for good reason.  With extensive and exclusive collections of classic and contemporary art situated in an all-white marble exterior, it is all-around stunning.  It has a global partnership with the Louvre, so there are constantly cool exhibitions. Currently, there is an ongoing Physical Garden exhibition by Molly Hatch, composed of 45 painted dinner plates in a beautiful two-story-high arrangement. 

Photo courtesy of wikiarquitectura.com.

5. World of Coca-Cola

This may seem cheesy and touristy, but it is a must. After all, we basically go to Coca-Cola University, right? The World of Coca-Cola is a museum showcasing the history of Emory’s favorite beverage, with interactive exhibits.  The real draw, though, is the taste testing – you can sample over 100 flavors/drinks made by the Coca-Cola company at the end of the tour. You definitely won’t leave feeling dehydrated, to say the least. 

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com. 

Happy exploring!

Her Campus at Emory University