This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

As the school year is ending, formal season is just starting. The time of beaches, coolers, and fun is here, but it is important to be prepared for the weekend. Here are some items you may want to bring with you to ensure your formal is great!

Sunscreen

While this may seem self-explanatory, it cannot be stressed enough how important sunscreen is during formal. Being out in the sun on the beach for hours on end is likely to end in sunburns if you are not prepared. We all know that nothing can ruin a weekend more than a painful, red burn. Bring plenty of sunscreen for yourself and anyone else who may have forgotten.

Swim Suits

Swim suits are another essential for formals. You’re at the beach so you’re going to need something to wear, but take this opportunity to find some new and fun suits! Buy that one piece you’ve had your eye on for months. Remember, have fun with it!

Coolers

This one is pretty obvious. What’s a formal without a cooler? Coolers, while cumbersome to sand and paint, are part of what makes a formal a formal. Don’t forget to bring yours. Also, make sure to check out all the other ones around you because some of them can be hilarious!

Sunglasses

Another essential item that you can’t forget are your sunglasses. When you are outside all day, you’ll want to protect your eyes, and take pictures where you’re not squinting into the camera. Bring sunglasses, they’re a lifesaver.

A Formal Outfit

While this doesn’t necessarily have to be a dress, it must be something nice. Formal is one of the few events where you can dress up and look your very best. Don’t waste the outfit with something you would wear to Maggie’s.

With these items on your packing list, you’re sure to be prepared for an eventful and fun formal! Have a blast!

Her Campus at Emory University