absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Emory University: A Vegan’s Paradise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

I’ve been vegan since I was thirteen. Therefore, I am a self-proclaimed expert regarding all things vegan. “Vegan” means not consuming anything derived from animals, including meat, dairy, eggs, seafood, etc. If it comes from an animal, you can be sure it is NOT vegan. Some people go vegan for health reasons, most for the pure love of animals (aka me). Coming to Emory, I was secretly a little nervous about the vegan options that would be available on campus. However, since getting here last year, I have been more than pleased! From the DUC to Emory Village, vegan food options are everywhere. If you have always been vegan or just like to eat animal-free once in a while, you can feel good knowing that there’s a vegan option within walking distance at any moment. Usually, within a few footsteps! Use this guide to help you navigate Emory’s campus when you’re craving some vegan food or if you’re just curious to know what’s out there.

source: Emory Dining Facebook page

The DUC (Dobbs Market)

Because of my freshman meal plan last year, I ate at the DUC on the daily. The vegan station was my go-to; it’s always chock full of a wide variety of yummy vegan offerings. With the daily vegan soup and salad, dips/hummus, and hot options, I always was blown away by the sheer number of options available for me as a vegan—from potato salad and macaroni and cheese to veggie-packed stews and burritos. The salad bar is always a safe bet, too. Make a vegan salad full of chickpeas, roasted sweet potatoes, mushrooms, quinoa, and the creamy balsamic dressing. Don’t forget to check out the fusion station for a possible vegan entrée, as well as the comfort station! The grill always has fries (sweet potato for me) for your greasy cravings, as well as portabello mushrooms that you can slather in the vegan barbecue sauce, grilled onions, and peppers. At the sandwich station, order a pressed sandwich/wrap with hummus and different veggies; it even comes served with chips and pickle! Don’t forget the vegan cake (or sometimes another dessert, like parfait!) that is at the entrance of the DUC every day! Breakfast? Not too many options, but you’re good to go with the oatmeal, fruit, and hash browns/potatoes. When DUC-ing, always keep your eyes peeled for the dark green vegan symbol!  That’s your best friend.  

HINT: The chocolate chip, sugar, and oatmeal raisin cookies offered on the daily? SECRETLY VEGAN. Yep, you heard me: no animal ingredients. So swipe all the cookies you want. (Hampton Creek, which is a 100% plant-based company, provides Emory with these cookies!) #VeganCookiesForTheWin

source: http://nique.net/life/2014/04/04/a-year-in-review-of-highland-bakery/

Highland Bakery

Besides a smoothie and their usually-vegan daily soup, there are a bunch of vegan options at Highland! The tofu scramble is a safe bet, but if you’re willing to be a little creative, mix and match the sides! Combine avocado, toast, and hummus, and you’ve got yourself some avocado hummus toast. Pair that with a full or side salad: either the house salad or the spinach salad (without the goat cheese). Or, go for the hummus sandwich minus the cheese!

source: https://www.yelp.com/biz/bhojanic-market-atlanta-2

Cox Hall Food Court

Burgers and tacos and pho, oh my! There’s a vegan bounty at Cox Hall, that’s for sure. Freshens has a variety of vegan smoothies—the strawberry and mango flavors are bomb. The sandwich station has similar offerings to the DUC, but ask for some avocado! Move over to the soup kettles, and there’s usually a vegan soup every day. Oatmeal with a toppings/fruit bar can be found in the morning. At the salad bar, you can get some yummy choices with unique offerings that change daily! Grilled asparagus one day, farro the next! You never know what cool vegan salad topping Cox will have, so check it out once in a while! At Maru, you can get vegan pho, which is a big, warm bowl full of thin rice noodles, and some different add-ins like scallions, jalapeno, and even some veggies that you can request from the hot section! Bhojanic offers a ton of veggie-friendly options and they’re always labeled as such. From chickpea curries on top of rice to the samosas, you’re bound to be satisfied. At Dooley’s Grill, the house-made vegan burger is delicious. Grilled with real chunks of veggies and served with fries, burger-out with your friends knowing it won’t taste like those obviously-frozen gardenburgers you used to bring to obligatory family BBQs.

Source: kaldiscoffee.com

Kaldi’s

Not the best prices, but some awesome vegan options here! In a rush? Grab a to-go hummus cup, chia pudding, smoothie (mention to have almond milk replace the yogurt if needed!), or a vegan orange almond muffin, which is out of this world by the way. For some more sustenance, get the walnut avocado salad with no goat cheese and sub it for something else, like chickpeas! Do the same with the hummus platter that comes with feta. My personal favorite is the black bean burrito; it’s baked with sweet potatoes and tomato jam. I always ask for the mozzarella to be subbed with avocado, if possible, and no sour cream on the side. In the mood for a sandwich and love avocado toast? Order the basil avocado sandwich without the goat cheese. It’s basically just avocado, sweet peppers, greens, and some other yummy veggies, but it’s good! If you’re at the Depot Kaldi’s, order the veggie falafel without the feta!

Source: Emory Farmer’s Market Facebook page

Emory Farmers’ Market (on-campus)

I look forward to the Farmer’s Market every single Tuesday. My favorite stand for a sweet vegan treat is Revolution Donuts. Most of the donuts are vegan, including the amazing apple fritter, jelly donuts, and the chocolate and vanilla frosted or glazed donuts. Keep your eyes peeled for the banana crumb. Revolution Gelato is a completely vegan (and addictive) gelato company. Flavor of India has my favorite veggie samosas that come with an amazing peach salsa dip, and Heavenly Breads offers a couple vegan Mediterranean foods, like falafel. Don’t forget King of Pops whose fruit-based popsicles are all vegan! The seasonal produce available at the farmers’ market is clearly vegan—apples during the fall from Mercier Orchards, and tomatoes from our own Oxford Farm! Don’t forget kettle corn and Pure Bliss granola if you’re on the run!  

Source: Emory Dining Facebook page

Emory Dining Brand

I’m refering to all those different to-go container foods that are offered in the cold cases everywhere (Cox, the SAAC, Eagle Convenience, White Hall, and Peet’s) as “Emory Brand”. So, here are the vegan choices that are under the Emory label. The macaroni salad is made with “Just Mayo,” a completely plant-based mayonnaise! The veggie sushi—avo, carrot, cucumber—is a yummy and healthy plant-based option. Obviously the fruit cup, but also any hummus cup offerings, the vegan veggie wrap, and some of the salads are vegan.

Source: emoryvillage.org

Emory Village

Starbucks: Some easy vegan options if you’re in a hurry: oatmeal, a bagel, or the veggie tahini salad! Note: this salad does have honey, which is always a personal decision.

Zoe’s Kitchen: With the hummus, quinoa salad without feta, veggie kabobs, potato salad, and braised white beans, Zoe’s has got your back! Trust me, and buy that big container of hummus and baked pita chips—you won’t regret this vegan hummus splurge.

Falafel King: So many options, all so good. Order the falafel sandwich with tahini and toppings, or a plate with their killer stuffed grape leaves. OR, order vegetable sushi! Even better—combine those two. What do I mean by that, you’re wondering? Order the falafel sushi: avocado and falafel wrapped in sticky rice and seaweed. It’s the oddest sounding combination, but it’s perfection in your mouth. Ask for it without the orange sauce, which is not vegan, unfortunately.

Chipotle: This is a clear vegan hot-spot. A veggie bowl/burrito full of veggies, tofu, beans, rice, and guacamole…duh. Pile on that guac.

Dragon Bowl: Build your own! Get some ramen noodles with marinated tofu (the best tofu I’ve ever had in my life), your choice of two veggies like roasted sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, carrots, and broccoli, a sauce, and a garnish! Teriyaki and sweet pickles, for me. Douse that bowl in extra sauce, and you’ll be thanking me.

*Keep in mind that this is not the all-knowing blueprint for vegan eating at Emory! This is purely based on my own experience and knowledge that I have gained from being a student here and for having a love for all things vegan at Emory! If you have serious food-related concerns, allergies, etc. do not hesitate to contact Emory Dining or the businesses directly to have your questions answered or find out exact ingredients! Happy vegan eating!

Her Campus at Emory University