Dustin Slade, Editor-in-Chief of The Wheel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Meet Dustin Slade, a senior in the business school and a member of the ZBT fratnernity. Dustin is the current editor-in-chief of The Wheel, Emory’s own student-run newspaper. After becoming a writer for the publication during his freshman year, Dustin decided that he wanted more and continuously upped his involvement. Read on to find out more about Dustin, his involvement as Editor-in-Chief, and the many ways you can get involved!

Her Campus Emory (HCE): How did you become Editor-in-Chief of The Wheel?

Dustin Slade (DS): I started writing for the paper at the beginning of my freshman year. Most of my articles focused on dissent on campus at the time—department cuts made in 2012, the protests leading up the removal of Chick-Fil-A, and President Wagner’s article wherein he made references to the three-fifths compromise. I was able to quickly develop a passion for writing and reporting. From there, I took on the role of News Editor, and then this past spring, I was fortunate enough to have been elected by the editorial board to run and manage the paper.

HCE: What do you enjoy most about overseeing The Wheel?

DS: The people! The Wheel has a culture matched by no other organization on campus. Our editorial board is comprised of some of the smartest, friendliest, and most amazing people I’ve had the opportunity of meeting at Emory. The Wheel has a diverse staff that comes from many different backgrounds and walks of life. When we hold our editorial board meetings, where we discuss the various issues popping up on campus, everyone has a different point of view, which really helps us capture the pulse of the student body. If I didn’t love the people I worked with, I wouldn’t be able to dedicate as much time as I do—they truly make being involved with The Wheel so much fun and an amazing experience.

HCE: The Wheel went through a lot of changes this summer. What should students expect from the paper this upcoming year?

DS: Well, after 97 years of print, the editorial board decided we wanted to refocus on a few things. Our biggest change is shifting the newspapers from a print-first platform to a daily online publication, with a weekly print edition where we will recap the week. We have completely overhauled both our website and print edition. We’re focusing on delivering timely and accurate news on a daily basis, through our website. Over the past six months we’ve really challenged ourselves to think outside of the box. We’re determined to ensure that The Wheel stays relevant, especially in the quickly changing media landscape. We have a ton in store for the upcoming year and can’t wait to share everything we’ve been working on with the people we work on it for – the student body!

HCE: How can students get involved?

DS: For those interested in joining The Wheel, visit emorywheel.com/join and sign up! We are always looking for new staff to join our team. Your level of commitment is up to you—you can submit an article a semester or join our editorial board. There is something for everyone and we are always on the lookout for new voices and fresh ideas!