This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

There is no guessing as to what you might get when you walk into the DUCling. Yes, there’s a menu you can access online, but what you’re actually getting is a lottery. There have been times when I expected pad thai and I got noodle cubes or when I’ve expected chicken pot pie and I got a bread pie with salt and some vegetables sprinkled in. Cooking for that many people is hard, I don’t give them any grief for their hit-or-miss recipes because I know they’re trying. Even if they have a great day with the softest cookies and the most flavorful chicken, if you’re not there in time, you’ll miss it. Have no fear, however, because I’ve come to offer you a solution. As someone with an inconvenient class schedule that affords me the most inopportune dining times, I’ve learned to make my own dishes for breakfast and lunch (my dinner is Postmates and Twisted Taco sry) that are tasty, quick, and available at (almost) all times.

Breakfast:

1. Sunny Toast

Ingredients:

• Toast (I prefer cinnamon raisin but it works with all kinds)
  • Honey
  • Sunflower butter
  • Bananas

Process:

• Toast your bread
  • Smear your sunflower butter over your toast
  • Slice bananas
  • Place bananas on sunflower butter
  • Cover with honey

You can definitely go honey first, then banana, I just find it to be less messy with it on top of the bananas

1. Yogurt Bowl

Ingredients:

• Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
  • Strawberries
  • Pineapple
  • Grapes
  • Granola
  • Brown Sugar

Process:

• Collect your yogurt
  • Place your fruit on top
  • Then your granola
  • Mix in your brown sugar
  • Enjoy!

It’s not an acai bowl, but it’s a pretty good DUC alternative

3. Breakfast Sandwich (this one involves getting there on time)

Ingredients:

• Bread
  • Eggs
  • Meat (if you’re into that)

Process

• Toast and butter your bread
  • Add eggs and meat

This is a great way to combine something boring and old to create something new, quick, and delicious.

Lunch

1. Pesto Turkey Sandwich

Ingredients

• Bread
  • Turkey
  • Pesto Spread
  • Swiss
  • Tomato

Process

• Smear pesto spread on one of your bread slices
  • Add cheese, turkey, cheese, turkey and then cheese
  • Add your tomato
  • Put it in the panini maker

This is a great balanced sandwich that has a great flavor and dynamic

2. Chicken Summer Salad

Ingredients

• Grilled chicken
  • Salad
  • Fruit (berries and grapes work best)
  • Poppyseed dressing

Process

• Slice chicken
  • Place your chicken in your salad with fruit and poppyseed dressing
  • Use another bowl, clasp them together, and shake to really mix the ingredients

Don’t forget, though, Few has some killer chicken salad sandwiches and salads in general that are included on your meal swipes! If these don’t work for you and you’re still dissatisfied with the DUCling, I hope your parents love you and are ready for you to spend all of your Dooley Dollars. Best of luck!

Maddy Knight is a senior in Emory's College of Arts and Sciences with a double major in Spanish and Linguistics. She plans on attending law school once graduating. Maddy likes all animals with fur, spending time with her friends and family, and has been writing for Her Campus since high school. 
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.