Dooley’s Ball Concert Prep: The Chainsmokers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This year, SPC is bringing The Chainsmokers to campus for Dooley’s Ball, finishing off Dooley’s Week! The concert will be held on McDonough Field on Saturday, April 9, and it’s completely free. To have the best time seeing The Chainsmokers in concert, here are a few things you should know before you go:

1. Go Early!

Expect a ton of people to show up at this concert. Why? It’s free (we all know how college students love free stuff) and it’s one of our last chances this semester to have a fun night out before finals start. Your chances of getting close to the stage—or at least getting a good view—depend on what time you get in line (or your elbowing skills). Since the concert is scheduled to run from 7-10 PM, I’d suggest getting there 30 minutes ahead of time.

2. Do Your Homework

The announcement of The Chainsmokers coming to campus yielded mostly positive reactions, as many people can think of at least one song of theirs that they know, there are still a lot of “who’s that?” among those who are less familiar. While many of their songs deserve a listen, there are some specific ones you’ll want to be familiar with, because nothing’s more satisfying than actually knowing the songs at a concert. Here are a few songs you should hear to get pumped (and their videos are pretty enteraining as well):

“Roses” — Featuring ROZES, this is the one song you should definitely know, especially since it was featured in the SPC Artist Announcement video. It walks the line between chill and danceable, and it’s likely to be the biggest song of the night.

“Don’t Let Me Down” — Featuring Daya, this song is almost impossible to move to. Daya’s voice gives it a soulful quality, and the drop is purely EDM. You can expect the crowd to go crazy for this one.

“#SELFIE” — Yeah, remember this one? This was them. It was pretty popular in 2014 and, as annoying as this song is, it’s still pretty great. Let the basic girl within you rejoice.

“Until You Were Gone” — Featuring Tritonal and Emily Warren, this one has a great tune and a beat that makes you nod your head throughout the whole song. 

“Kanye” — Featuring sirenXX, the piano at the beginning of this song tricks you into thinking it’s a slow song. It gets heavier and speeds up as it progresses, and the drop makes you want to listen to the entire rest of the song.

“Let You Go” — Featuring Great Good Fine Ok, this one is a little more mellow and chill, yet still really catchy. Watch out though—the keyboard riff in the background will get stuck in your head.

3. Dress the Part

If you’re going to an EDM concert, you should wear something edgy yet comfortable with a bold statement piece to make you stand out. Think something along the lines of bright shorts, funky sneakers/comfy Converse, and a fun graphic t-shirt. Be sure to remember the importance of comfort at an outdoor concert without seating. While those sky-high stilettos make your legs look great, you’ll immediately regret it once you’re standing on McDonough for more than two minutes. Also, the closer you get to the stage, the more likely it is that you’ll get stepped on; closed-toed shoes are the way to go with everyone so close to each other. Finally, wear something lightweight! Even if it’s a little chilly outside, you can guarantee that everyone will be sweating all over each other…and you don’t want to contribute to that. For more do’s and don’ts regarding your Dooley’s Ball outfit choice, check this article out!

4. Register Your Guests

SPC’s guest policy is strictly enforced, so listen up—this is important. Each Emory student is allowed to bring one guest, and they must be registered on the through OrgSync before Tuesday, April 5 at 6:00 PM. (Use this link to register your guest!) Since registration could reach capacity before that date, be sure to get it done as soon as you can. Guests receive SPC wristbands that grant them admission to both concerts. To pick up these wristbands, bring your guest to the SPC table in the DUC on Thursday, between noon and 6:00 PM, on Friday between noon and 4:00 PM, or on Saturday between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM in the DUC Coke Commons. Just make sure you bring your Emory Card and your guest brings their ID!

With all of this in mind, have fun at Dooley’s Ball!

Her Campus at Emory University