nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cover Letters & Personal Statements: How to Kill the Application Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The tragedy goes something like this: first, you find the perfect job/internship/study abroad program/academic institution. Because you are a driven and well-rounded student, you have a resume to boot, the skills to get the job done, and the passion to excel, the stars align and your future is bright. But, even with all of these things going for you, you ultimately stumble in your presentation and are overlooked. Sound familiar?

For many of the fast-paced women on campus, the problem is not a lack of qualifications—it’s advertisement. Working at the writing center, I have been able to learn the “make or breaks” of cover letters and personal statements, and I am here to bestow my knowledge on you. Don’t let another opportunity pass you by!

Highlight what they can’t see.

They have your resume. I’ll say it again, just so we’re clear: they already have your resume. Listing all of the wonderful and impressive things you’ve done is great, but redundant. Your personal statement and cover letter aren’t meant to introduce them to your qualifications, but to give them context.  Pick two things to talk about so you can clarify why these are important and what they say about you as an individual. This leads me to my next point:

Write with your own voice.

Chances are your application is far from their only one to look over. Be an individual while still remaining professional. This is your chance to get them to like you and want to get to know you better. Writing about being a part of the “Smarter and Better than Everyone Else” Society in language that Siri could have churned out is not nearly as captivating as that little weekend retreat you led that changed your outlook on life. Not only does it make you likable, but it also shows them the significance of your experience that they could not possibly have learned from a quick glance at your resume.

Be explicit.

Remember when I said that your application isn’t the only one in the pile? Well, it’s very likely that you are one of many. And, after a long day of eye-drying reading, the last thing your future employer wants to do is search for what you are trying to say. Don’t dance around your point; make it as easy as possible for them to take away what you want them to.

Don’t be too humble.

Humility is good; removing yourself from your application is bad. Do not use the passive voice. If you say “I was given the opportunity to…” and you speak about how “changes were made,” you negate all the hard work you put into your own accomplishments. Instead, saying things like, “When the organization elected me as Vice President” and “I enacted a new service day,” it sounds so much better. It’s just like your high school English teacher said, pounding on the desk: “Use the active voice!”

Madeline Holcombe is a junior at Emory University studying English Creative Writing and History. Originally from Southern California, she enjoys dance, Krav Maga, literature, cooking, fashion, skiing, and writing.
Her Campus at Emory University