Christmas Must-Do’s in Atlanta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Cue Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” and bust out the tacky sweaters: Christmas time is here! If you’re an out-of-towner, being away for the holidays can put you out of your element in terms of the city’s festive traditions. So, while you’re here, try to bask in the glory of Christmas in Atlanta because it really is magical! 

Atlanta Botanical Gardens:

The Emory Experience Shuttles have a trip here at least once a year, but I think it’s an injustice that they don’t also provide a ride for the holidays! Lucky enough for you, it’s only a quick Uber ride from campus, and it’s well worth the trip. While there are some awesome light shows in Georgia, this is the best one within city limits and it’s a little more upscale than its competitors. This is in a great location with lots of restaurants close by if you want to turn this into a romantic date or even a fun girls’ night!

Atlanta Ballet’s Nutcracker:

For all you cultured queens, treat yo’self to a night at the ballet. Although I’ll never claim to be an expert in the field of dance, I will say that every time I see the Atlanta Ballet perform, I am transported, and this applies especially to the Nutcracker. Nothing makes me feel more enraptured by the season. Plus, it’s performed at the Fox Theatre, which is such a treat if you get the chance to go during your four years at Emory. The show is a little pricey, but you won’t regret it.

Rudolf at The Center for Puppetry Arts:

This is one of the quirkier things you can do for the holidays, and hands down my favorite on the list. I’m not sure how other cities’ puppetry scenes compare, but I think it’s safe to assume that Atlanta has one of the best. If you’ve ever seen the claymation movie Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, the puppet show is basically that, come to life. It’s incredibly impressive and an experience you wont find anywhere else! 

Atlanta is such a beautiful city for the holidays, so try and see it all while you’re here!

Her Campus at Emory University