Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Emory Celebrities

Chipper Jones- 2013 Class Day Speaker

By Marni Baron
March 30, 2013 - 1:21pm

Baseball fans are all excited that Emory’s Class Day (Thursday, May 9th) speaker will be former Atlanta Braves third baseman, Chipper Jones. Class Day includes the presentation of class gifts and awards, and a special address from the keynote speaker. After 19 years on the Braves (the only team he has ever played for professionally), Jones retired in 2012 at age 40. His athletic accomplishments include having the most RBIs of any third baseman and being known as one of the best switch-hitters of all time. The Braves will retire his jersey, number 10 this June and will induct him into the Braves’ Hall of Fame. Chipper also started the Chipper Jones Family Foundation, through which he has donated to organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club and Little...

Leah Regenbaum '14 President of ASAP

By Amirah Mahdi
March 21, 2013 - 12:00am

Since Emory has seen a recent increase in reported rapes on campus, many have wondered does this mean more rapes are occurring? Is campus safe? Meet junior Leah Regenbaum, ’14, president of the Alliance for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP), a group whose mission is to educate the community on sexual violence. Leah is here to discuss her role in ASAP and the impact it has had on Emory’s campus. April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month so be on the lookout for ASAP’s events on campus! Her Campus Emory (HCE): How did you become involved in ASAP? READ MORE

Men and Women’s Basketball Teams—They’re Kind Of A Big Deal!

By Marni Baron
March 7, 2013 - 12:00am

Men and women’s teams are UAA co-champions and champions (respectively) and both teams are also contenders for NCAA Division III titles! Men’s Team UAA (University Athletic Association) co-champion title: The 72-54 victory over the University of Rochester tied Emory with Rochester and Wash U as UAA co-champions (all three teams have 10-4 records in the UAA league) Big news: The men’s team advanced to the NCAA Division III tournament for the first time since 1990. READ MORE

Black Student Alliance President, Jovonna Jones '15

By Amirah Mahdi
February 28, 2013 - 12:00am

If you've been following the local and national news coverage on President Wagner's controversial comment, you'll probably recognize this campus celeb! She was mentioned in the New York Times and was featured on the HuffPost live with Marc Lamont Hill. Despite all of this, she still has time to run Emory’s Black Student Alliance. Catch up with this week’s celebrity and my girl Jojo! Name: Jovonna Jones (Jojo) Year: 2015 baybeeee Major: Philosophy  Fun facts: I love to sing...and make smoothies…sometimes at the same time.  Her Campus Emory (HCE): How did you become involved in BSA? READ MORE

Rita Dove--Emory 2013 Commencement Speaker

By Marni Baron
February 21, 2013 - 11:34am

Drum role please…the 2013 commencement speaker has finally been selected! And it’s Rita Dove! …Wait, who? We’re willing to bet that most of you have never heard of poet and author, Rita Dove…but, since she will be delivering a speech (or reciting poetry?!) at graduation this year, it is time to get ourselves familiarized! Quick Facts READ MORE

2012 and 2013 ISC Presidents, Camille Sheppard and Lauren Browning

By Marni Baron
February 16, 2013 - 11:00am

On bid day 2013, Camille Sheppard passed over the responsibilities of president of Emory’s Intersorority Council to Lauren Browning. HCE interviewed both girls in order to get a behind-the-scenes look at ISC. Camille Sheppard/2012 Camille, a senior from Jacksonville, Florida studying history and sociology, is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and has participated in ISC since her sophomore year. She served as her sorority’s pan-hellenic representative and enjoyed becoming more involved on campus. We asked Camille to specifically discuss the recruitment process. She says she was very happy with the way things went this year, and congratulated Vice President of Recruitment, Jordan Krant, for her efforts in keeping things running smoothly....

Camille Nelson '13 and Liz Carson '14: Co-Chairs of Emory's Camp Kesem

By Amirah Mahdi
February 7, 2013 - 12:00am

How do you spend your summers? Frolicking on beaches, getting an occasional tan? Interning in an office with hopes of becoming a permanent employee? How about making a difference? Well these two wonderful ladies, Camille Nelson ’13 and Liz Carson ’14, certainly got that task under control as co-chairs of Emory’s chapter of Camp Kesem, a camp for children whose parents are affected by cancer. Coupled with fun-filled summers, these girls wish to make a difference in these kids’ lives in hopes that everyone takes something powerful away from his/her experience at Camp Kesem. Read up on our new Campus Celebrities! Name: Liz Carson Year: Junior Major: Anthropology and Human Biology...

Melissa Black '14 and Hannah Silverman '15, NetClarify Representatives

By Amirah Mahdi, Jessica Jaksich
January 31, 2013 - 12:00am

Ever posted a pic of you and Mason (the infamous Maggie's bouncer) for the world to see? Woken up to a long list of drunk tweets that you immediately regretted? Or instagramed that sloppy "besties" photo-op where your eyes weren't quite as open as they should have been? Guilty as charged - we've all been there. While the world of smart phones and social media makes it very easy for us to keep all of our friends and acquaintances up-to-date on our wild college adventures, these technologies also make it all too easy to stain our reputations with the click of a button.  READ MORE

Jonathan Denmar ’13 of #Emorycuts

By Marni Baron
January 26, 2013 - 6:07pm

Have you been affected by Emory’s “phase out” of certain academic programs? Do you want to participate in a movement to protest these changes? Meet Jonathan Denmar—a senior who is double majoring in Music Composition and Journalism, who facilitated the organization of “#EmoryCuts.” According to its Facebook page, #EmoryCuts is “an organization seeking to ‘save’ the Liberal Arts infrastructure at Emory University.” Jonathan adds, “Our mission is to find logical ways of working with the administration to figure out how these cuts could be reversed, and what needs to happen to keep the fundamental programs here at Emory.” READ MORE

AHANA Dance Fall 2012

By Emily Greenwald
December 14, 2012 - 5:00pm

This past weekend, December 6-8, Emory was delighted by the biannual AHANA Dance Showcase. Her Campus Emory thought it would be a great idea to recognize the talents of the ladies behind the dancing and give you all a sneak peek into what goes into the performance! We interviewed members of the AHANA executive board and some of their choreographers to try to get a feel for AHANA. Her Campus Emory (HCE): How often do you have rehearsals and how long are they? READ MORE