Biker Chic: Dress Dangerously!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

There’s something about motorcycles—boys on bikes, biker fashion—that makes us feel more edgy and empowered to dress more dangerously. It wasn’t until the ’50s and the rise of fast cars and rock music that the black leather motorcycle jacket became the symbol of rebelliousness. Biker styles have always held a warm place in the hearts of fashion-lovers; the rebellious fashion pieces from this fall further cement their place. Decades later, biker chic is still making tracks in our collective consciousness and in the winter collections of designers like Givenchy, Altuzarra, Christopher Kane, and Junya Watanabe. It’s a fierce, sexy aesthetic that shows no signs of slowing down.

Notable fashion designers are bringing rebelliousness into the mainstream, capitalizing on the demand for non-conformist attitudes and attire. Shift into the realm of rebellion with sharply studded leather jackets, thigh-high booties, bold statement makeup, and fiercely fast motorcycles. Avid bikers, motorcycle enthusiasts and overall disobedient souls will be revving to adorn themselves in this grungy biker-chic fashion that glamorizes grittiness.

This winter, it’s all about leather and studs, and their parade on the fall 2013 runways captured the unending appeal of the elusive motorcycle rebel. They made it into a look that’s both on-trend and accessible.  When worn at the right time, the biker chic fall fashion trend is totally adaptable to everything from work attire to a night out. For the office, go for a sophisticated schoolgirl-prep look by pairing a camel-colored leather skirt with a crisp blouse and fitted sweatshirt overtop. Add a menswear-inspired penny loafer heel for a sleek update to this season’s boy-meets-girl style. Or take a knee-length black leather skirt and add a slouchy white cashmere sweater to play up the black and white trend—it’s motocross style with an elegant ladylike sophistication. If you’re on a date, try pairing a black moto jacket over your favorite LBD with black knee-high boots for a sophisticated though edgy entrance. Or pair the jacket with a crisp white blouse and a slim pant to create an elongated and sleek silhouette. Add it overtop of your favorite trench for a casual, downtown chic appeal. 

Her Campus at Emory University