stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Atlanta: The City For Runners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’re not already in a workout routine, you are probably constantly stressing over how you should be in one. As a self-proclaimed “workout freak” at home, I’ve struggled to find a workout at Emory that fits my needs. For me, getting into a regular running routine has helped a lot.

There are so many opportunities to become a runner, no matter what level you’re at, both at Emory and in the city of Atlanta. I hope that for some of you, this article can serve as your running girl’s guide to your life at Emory. Paris may be known as the city for lovers, but Atlanta is a city for runners.

On Campus

Emory Running Club

If you’re somebody who is motivated by running with a buddy or being a part of a running community, then you can look into joining the Emory Running Club. The club’s advisor, Dr. Patrick Cafferty, gives members advice on how to train better. Hear him speak at their January meeting!

They host runs around campus every Friday at 5 PM, which are usually around three miles (depending on which running officer is leading that day). They meet in front of the indoor track at the WoodPec and are open to members of every level of ability. The groups of runners are then divided by distance.

Also, they hold social events that are not running related including team meals, ice cream socials, and social mixers!

There’s a $10 fee to join for the year. Find them on Facebook and join their group to stay updated on all their events! Or, you can e-mail the president, Cindy Chu (hschu4@emory.edu), for more info!

Clairmont Run and Activity Club

If you want to run longer distances and complete events, then the Clairmont Run and Activity Club is for you! This fall, they’ve participated in the Winship 5Km and the GlobeMed 5Km Zombie Run. If you want to join now, you can look forward to participating in the Hot Chocolate 15Km run in Atlanta in January, as well as the Georgia Pulbix Marathon in March.

The group runs on Saturday mornings at 9 AM. They meet at the SAAC. If you’re interested in becoming involved, find them on Facebook.

Off Campus

Lullwater

Lullwater is a fantastic place to run. It’s the only place where you can escape Emory life, while staying on campus, for an hour or so. You can choose the right trail for you: staying on the main route, veering off to side trails, or a combination of the two- whatever inspires you most!

The President’s Loop (you’ve probably heard it as simply “The Loop”) is the standard trail. You see the most people on The Loop, so it’s great for people watching, if you’re into that. Also, it’s the only trail that’s paved. The Loop is a little under a mile, so it’s really easy to track your progress, if you want to have more specific, measurable goals.

If you’re not in the mood to see so many people and instead, make your run more about the adventure, stray from The Loop and wander off on the other road less-traveled (shout out to Robert Frost.) There are at least four opportunities along The Loop to go off in a different direction. These trails are a less man-made option and more like hiking trails.

You can sometimes even spot wild animals. The first time I strayed from The Loop, I almost accidentally stomped on a turtle. It was scary, but thankfully, the turtle was fine- just thought I should give fair warning.

Chattahoochee River National Park

This national park is known to be ideal for running. However, the downside is that this park is a 30-minute drive from campus, but the scenic views are worth the trip. Just to put that in perspective, that’s about the same trip length as Stone Mountain. Freshmen without cars, get a group of friends together, get a Zipcar and make the trip worth it! There are two trails at the park: Cochran Shoals Trail and Power Island Trail. The main difference is that the trail at Cochran Shoals is wider and more traveled, while Power Island is thinner, more untouched, and less traveled. Both trails are over 3 miles.

If Chattahoochee doesn’t do it for you, I discovered this great blog that covers just about every place to run in Atlanta: http://www.atlantatrails.com/atlanta-running-walking-trails/.

Atlanta Communities

If you want to run with some real Atlantans, you can find some opportunities at some of the local run stores, Big Peach Running Co. (Midtown and Decateur), Phidippides (Ainsley Mall), and Highland Runners (on Highland Ave in Morningside.) These stores all hold group runs and special events.

The Atlanta Track Club also organizes running clinics and puts on lots of large events in the Atlanta area, including the Peachtree Road race. More info on their site here.

If you want to pick one calendar to pick and choose the events you want to partake in, this is the best, most comprehensive calendar.

Now you know what you need to know to get started on your running routine. In addition to being a part of Emory’s running culture, another reason to become a runner is that you can exercise whenever and wherever you are. You are no longer dependent on limited gym hours, questionable equipment, or the possibility of a lifeless instructor. It’s the ultimate fitness independence. No more excuses! Get out there and tear it up!

Her Campus at Emory University