Atlanta: Brunches to Die For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In the South, brunch is a way of life. Luckily, there are tons of places around Emory that have unique (and delicious!) brunch menus. There are so many restaurants to choose from! So where should you go first? Don’t worry: we’ve compiled 5 highly rated restaurants to get your list started:

1. Sun in my Belly

Sun in my Belly has amazing food, a relaxed atmosphere, and even a separate pastry counter. What more could you ask for? Many suggest asking for “The Hangover”: an open faced biscuit with sausage, fried egg, avocado, and drizzle of Sriracha on top served with cheesy potatoes on the side. Although it is no longer on the menu, they will still make it for you if you ask—you won’t regret getting it! However, speaking from personal experience, they also have dynamite Challah French Toast, as shown in the photo above. For all the coffee lovers our there: if you’re ready to leave but you still need some more caffeine in your system, they’ll send you off with a coffee to-go.

2. Radial Café

This place, like Sun in my Belly, has a super cool hipster atmosphere with a menu to match. They have a huge brunch menu featuring organic items and plenty of fabulous options for vegans and vegetarians. I found the staff to be extremely nice, providing various kinds of free bread to munch on while you’re waiting for your order. If you’re looking for some delicious Southern-style cheese grits, this is the place to get them. Also, as shown in the picture above, they have absolutely giant pancakes.

3. West Egg Café

West Egg Café serves brunch until 5pm on weekends, so you know they’re the real deal. The restaurant, which gets its name from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Great Gatsby, has received numerous “Best Breakfast” awards. They serving traditional Southern comfort food in a modern, lively, energetic space. They also have a separate coffee shop/lounge that serves pastries and has free Wi-Fi…need I say more?

4. The Flying Biscuit Café

The Flying Biscuit is famous in Atlanta for—you guessed it—their biscuits. These aren’t just ordinary biscuits though—they’re extremely dense, larger than most biscuits you’ll find elsewhere, and they’re served with homemade cranberry apple butter. Another great choice: the organic oatmeal pancakes served with warm peach compote. The happy atmosphere is exactly what you’d expect from a Southern restaurant specializing in breakfast. Since they don’t take reservations, it’s likely that there will be at least a 30-minute wait if you don’t arrive early enough. However, it’s worth the wait, which explains why so many people stand in line each weekend.

5. The General Muir

The General Muir is located conveniently in Emory Point—that’s walking distance from campus! Styled like an old-school deli, their bagels are handmade and freshly baked. If you’re really looking for a treat, order one of their open-faced bagels: with toppings like lox, schmear, avocado, and grapefruit, you won’t find a breakfast like this anywhere else near campus. They also have a deli counter where you can get a bagel to-go and choose from a variety of coffee, tea, and espresso drinks to start your morning the right way.

It’s no question that brunch is a great way to treat yourself and slow down the weekend. However, there are so many other places to try that you couldn’t run out of options. Be sure to check out the many other brunch restaurants in the area too!

Her Campus at Emory University