Andre Lumpkin ’13, Ahana Dance President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you have ever seen Trickanometry (TNT) perform, then you’ve seen Andre Lumpkin in the front with his hype moves and vibrant personality moving the crowd. Andre is the current president of AHANA dance. A senior at Emory with a major in Sociology and a minor in theater studies, Andre has worked hard this entire semester to put on a show that is always exciting. Make sure you come out and see the shows this week 12/6, 12/7, and 12/8 at 7:00 pm in the Performing Arts Building.

Her Campus Emory (HCE): What age did you start dancing?

Andre Lumpkin (AL): I started dancing when I was pretty young, around 6 or 7 years old. It started off with social dancing at parties, then taking hip-hop and African dance classes. I also stepped and danced with a couple of local groups in my hometown Athens, GA.

HCE: Have you evolved as a dancer since coming to Emory?

AL: I took my first Jazz class fall semester of my sophomore year. Since then, I have taken numerous jazz, ballet, modern, and contemporary classes, which have morphed me into a completely different dancer. Dance courses, festivals, rehearsals, workshops and most importantly, the dance faculty here at Emory have completely changed the way I approach and perceive dance as an art form. 

HCE: When did you become involved in AHANA?

AL: I participated in AHANA for the first time spring semester sophomore year through a flash mob that was organized by the current Vice President of AHANA, Julio Medina. As a part of the flash mob, I had to sit in the audience for the entire show because we were the last piece. I thought it was amazing how AHANA included so many styles and dancers in the same show, so I decided that I wanted to stay involved in the program.

HCE: Do you have any dance role models? If so, who and how do they inspire you?

AL: The faculty in the dance department here at Emory are great role models. They all have different methods, training, and perceptions but are all experts in their own right. I am so privileged to be able to learn from such talented, ingenious mentors.  

HCE: What other dance groups/companies are you involved in at Emory?

AL: I am a member of Emory Dance Company, Trickanometry (T.N.T), an all male hip-hop crew, and Staibdance a professional company run by George Staib, a member of Emory’s faculty. 

HCE: Where do you see yourself as a dancer after graduation?

AL: I hope to achieve a Master of Fine Arts in Dance through a conservatory program. I want to be able to hone my skills and perform at the professional level. Afterwards, my dream would be to travel, perform and eventually become a dance professor myself. However, I will see where life takes me.

HCE: Do you have any advice for any dancers out there?

AL: If you’re passionate about dance don’t let go, be determined in keeping dance in your life. It doesn’t matter how small or big a part it plays, as long as it’s there. Just dance!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).