AHANA Dance Fall 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This past weekend, December 6-8, Emory was delighted by the biannual AHANA Dance Showcase. Her Campus Emory thought it would be a great idea to recognize the talents of the ladies behind the dancing and give you all a sneak peek into what goes into the performance! We interviewed members of the AHANA executive board and some of their choreographers to try to get a feel for AHANA.

Her Campus Emory (HCE): How often do you have rehearsals and how long are they?

Joelle Zegas: The piece I’m in rehearses once a week for 1-2 hours (depending on how close to show week we are and if we have missed previous rehearsals). During show week, we have three tech rehearsals, one that is only 20 minutes long, one that is the length of the show (a little less than an hour and a half), and another during which we run [through] the entire performance twice.

HCE: Choreographers, how do you get inspiration for dances?

Nathalie Angel: When choreographing salsa, merengue and bachata pieces, Carlos, the other salsa choreographer, and I look for possible story lines to inspire movement. We also experimented with movement that was outside of our comfort zones which often resulted in us falling or hitting each other, but that’s what makes the choreographic process fun.

Dana Sokolowski: I think for me it’s all about the music. Last semester I was only slightly (really) obsessed with Lady GaGa and did a compilation piece of some of her songs. I wanted to choreograph something hot and daring, which, let’s be honest, Lady GaGa is both of those. This semester’s piece is inspired by a performance I saw on YouTube by Choreo Cookies at Body Rock 2010 that used the song “Departed” by Theophilus London. So Julio and I are kind of paying homage to the performance, but at the same time, we just wanted to dance… and this song is bumpin’!

HCE: So, it’s obvious that a lot of work goes into these performances. What are your favorite parts?

Sarah Stuckey: My favorite part [is] getting to dance in front of a live audience.

Dana: When the crowd responds! When people are shouting, it’s so encouraging and it makes you go that much harder on stage.

Nathalie: I love the feeling of relief you get once you get through a difficult section knowing you nailed it. Also, the moments when the audience responds to the movement.

Joelle: I love the adrenaline of being on stage, but I also really look forward to the time I spend backstage with friends just joking and having fun.

HCE: Do you ever get nervous before performances?

Nathalie: Of course!

Joelle: I think most people do [get nervous], no matter how comfortable they are out there [or] how many times they’ve done it. For me, this is what gives me the adrenaline to get out on stage and give it my all.

Sarah: Right before I go out on stage, but it is more out of excitement. There is such a rush of energy when performing, so we are all just waiting in the wings ready to go!

Dana: Every time. I get really shaky (although it’s usually because of all the coffee I drink) and my heart pounds (again, coffee). The shakiness lasts for the first few seconds of the performance and then I get really into it and forget I was ever nervous.

AHANA Dance has three performances per semester; so even if you missed this semester’s showcase, look out for the performances in the spring! 

Originally a New Jersey native, Emily now calls London, England home. She is a Creative Writing/English major and is a rowing, Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars enthusiast. 
Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).