andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Places you Haven’t Thought to Study Abroad/Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

So you are starting to think about where you want to study abroad or the best location for a post grad trip.  From someone who loves traveling, I understand what a hard decision it can be.  This is one of the few chances you’ll have to just live it up and explore.  While all the typical places (Rome, Florence, Paris, London, Sydney) are awesome choices and you’ll have an amazing time, there are a number of places that would be equally awesome, and a little more unique, that you may not have thought of before.  These places still have the nightlife and comforts you are looking for, so you get to seem different and cool, while still having an A+ experience.

1. Singapore

Singapore is an amazing country. It is 100% first world, one of the three first languages is English (so no worries there), and it is in center of Southeast Asia.  This location means you get to live in a completely modern, industrialized country (your parents don’t have to worry), while you are a short bus/plane ride away from all SE Asia has to offer. SE Asia has amazing history, culture, as well as some of the most beautiful beach spots you will ever see. Singapore’s nightlife and food is also on point. As the modern hub of SE Asia you get to experience all of the best Asian food from the surrounding countries, while still having the option to eat western food-make your own salad and fro yo places are pretty important in my mind.

1. Melbourne, Australia

You may know about Sydney-the surf, beach, hot guy capital of the world- but you may not know about the second largest city in Australia: Melbourne.  Melbourne is the cool, artsy New York of Australia, while Sydney is the laid back, beach-filled LA.  Melbourne is known for its street art, café culture, and first-class nightlife-don’t worry the guys are still as attractive.  It is such a great place to be and you could just spend hours wandering around this incredible place. Melbourne is also home the Twelve Apostles, one of the natural wonders of the world.  Everyone who visits/lives in Melbourne loves it, and I promise it will not disappoint.

Disclaimer: I LOVE both Melbourne and Sydney.  You will not go wrong in either, but if the Melbourne vibe seems like a scene you’d be interested in, it is definitely worth checking out.  

1. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

If you are looking for a more in-depth cultural experience, without going completely off the grid, Ho Chi Minh City might be for you.  You will be fully immersed in Vietnamese culture, while still having access to an LA Fitness and Mexican Food. You will never be bored with things to do. Vietnam is a beautiful country with so much to see and you could spend weeks just hitting up spots along the coast.  Additionally, some of the major cities in SE Asia are only a $15 bus ride away, so the possibilities really are endless.  There is also a huge backpacker culture and you are guaranteed to meet people from all over the world. (Bonus: You get to hear from your parents/ grandparents how they can’t believe you are in Vietnam and wow how times have changed)

1. Buenos Aires, Argentina 

South America is somewhere most people would love to go, but not a lot of people get around to doing.  Using your travel time to go to this part of the world would ensure you get there.  From what I hear Buenos Aires is one of the best places to visit/ travel in South America.  All I hear is amazing things about the city.  I mean my Argentinean high school Spanish teacher talked about it on a daily basis as the best place ever (if that means anything), as well as many Emory students who study there.  It is a great place to use your Spanish in somewhere out of the traditional Spain experience.  The city is pretty developed and has access to all of South America.  The culture is completely unique and different and what better time then now to experience it. I’ve also heard the wine and meat are some of the best you’ll ever have.

1. Amsterdam, Netherlands

I feel like I should throw in somewhere in Europe and based on all of my friends who studied abroad there.   Amsterdam seems to be at the top of everyone’s favorite place’s list. While it is usually viewed as a fun spot to travel, there is so much more. The city is beautiful-filled with canals, cafes, and bike riders. It is quaint and charming and would be great places to travel/ have an abroad experience.  The central location is also ideal for traveling around the rest of Europe or visiting your friends in their study abroad spots.  Additionally, you can get by with mainly English, if you are looking to feel extra comfortable where you are living.

1. Bangkok, Thailand

Thailand has a little bit of everything, and is quickly becoming one of the most popular travel destinations.  Bangkok at first may seem underdeveloped, but then you travel to other areas of SE Asia and you realize it has enough to keep you comfortable.  What is great is that you can travel off the beaten path and have a very Thai experience, or you can follow the backpackers and wind up listening to country music by a live band, followed by a trip to The Club (a real place) to hear a top 40 hits. In your time there you’ll drink too many buckets, get lost in the midnight markets, enjoy amazingly cheap Thai massages, eat A+ Pad Thai, and one of your friends will likely eat a late scorpion, so if that sounds like a good time to you-Bangkok might just be the place.  It is also in the center of Thailand making it a short trip to Cheng Mai- home of a well-respected Elephant Sanctuary; Phuket-where the Full Moon Party takes place, and the Phi Phi Islands- arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  

1. Bali, Indonesia

It is far, very far.  However, it is so cool and all of your friends will be insanely jealous of your instas.  While it would be a great place to go on a honeymoon (you may look jealously at some of the perfect couples around you), it is also an incredible place to travel around with friends. Gili T is the place to be if you are a young person traveling. It has beautiful water, backpackers from all over, and an endless number of activities to enjoy (sunbathing, yoga, scuba/snorkel, hiking, ect…) Since it is a popular travel location the food is very customized to western tastes-seeing hummus and quinoa on a menu can be really exciting if you’ve been traveling around less western places for a while.  Other areas include, Uluwatu, which has world renowned surf beaches if that’s your thing, Ubud which has a monkey forest and is a spiritual hub if that’s more what you’re looking for, and Jakarta the party city near the airport.  Bali is a small island with so much to do-and irritatingly slow transportation, so it is a place you will want to allot some time to explore. 

You’re in for a great adventure if you go anywhere on this list. Safe Travel!

Her Campus at Emory University