This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Whether you’re in the middle of mid-terms, catching up on readings, or just planning your spring break, you are bound to run into a stressful situation or two. Telling yourself, “don’t stress”, is notably easier said than done. Here are five things that I personally have tried and proven significantly reduce any feeling of anxiety and stress I am experiencing. 

1. Pixel Thoughts

Sometimes it’s the smallest thing that ends up being the most stressful.  The website, Pixel Thoughts, provides an environment for one to share their thoughts, get some headspace, and put things in perspective. The website leads you through a 60 second meditation, in which you enter a stressful thought into a star and watch as it fades away into the galaxy – demonstrating how powerless one stressful thought can be in the grander scheme of things. The website also plays calming music in the background – which in itself is helpful if you ask me.

2. Essential Oils   

It may seem silly, but smells can make all the difference trust me. I know a tiny bottle labeled “stress away” or “peace & calm” doesn’t have the ability to make all your worries go away, but the calming scents combined with a bit of belief do have relaxing effects on one’s mind. My personal favorite brand to purchase essential oils from is Young Living – the oils themselves not only smell amazing but are perfect for sensitive skin! All you need is one drop, rub it into your palms, and inhale a couple of deep breaths and I can ensure you will instantly feel calmer. It’s definitely worth a shot.

3. Color

People tend to classify coloring as one of two things – it’s either a children’s activity, or a trend that is considered so “last year”. I hate to break it to those people but there is no expiration date when it comes to relieving stress, and according to many therapist such as, Susanne Fincher, coloring has been proven to be therapeutic for people of all ages. So there’s nothing wrong with having color pencils and a coloring book nearby – you never know when the mood might strike you. 

4. Exercise

Your parents and friends have told you this tip, your High-School PE teacher definitely told you this tip – exercising is one of the best ways to destress. If you’re used to athletic activity you probably already know this, however, if you’re anything like me you definitely use the excuse that “exercise itself causes you stress”. While it may appear that way if its been a while since you were last active, the post-exercise buzz is one of the best feelings in the world that will instantly lift your mood. The first time exercising is always the hardest, but it’s definitely worth powering through for the endorphin boosts and other health benefits.

5. Shower

A nice warm shower never fails to calm me down. I’m not sure if its the sensation of the water running through my hair, or the singing that tends to occur when I’m in the shower – but either way showers have a way of making me feel more relaxed and put together. When in doubt, shower it out!

Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.