rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The end of the year is always a really stressful time.  Not only is there finals, but there is also saying goodbye to your friends, finalizing your summer plans, defining your relationship before summer, hoping to change half your schedule during add drop swap, and anything else you’re dealing with.  So, needless to say, it can be really easy to get overwhelmed.  Here are 5 general ways to help you destress no matter what the situation is.  

1. Talk it out

Just expressing how you feel about the problem or situation can help you calm down more than you realize.  Find a friend, your big, your sister, or anyone you feel close to and just tell them how you’re feeling.  You’ll be surprised by how much it can make you feel better, even if nothing gets solved. 

2.  Let it out

Let out all your stress in whatever way works for you.  Whether it’s by crying, laughing, screaming, or anything else, take 10 minutes to yourself and let all of the stress out.  When you are really stressed about something, it is easy to overthink it and let it all build up inside, and just releasing some of that tension can be extremly helpful.

3. Put it into perspective

Look at whatever is making you stressed in the grand scheme of things.  Is it really that important?  What is the worst thing that can happen if everything doesn’t go perfectly?  Hopefully–probably–nothing too bad.  Just remembering that in the big picture, this issue of stress is probably pretty irrelevant and things could be much worse. 

4. Make a list

Organizing your schedule can be extremely helpful.  When there is a lot going on, it can be easy to forget about things or not leave enough time to complete everything you need to. Mapping out your day, week, or month in whatever way works for you can effectively release some of your stress.  Knowing you have it all written down takes off some of the pressure to remember everything.

5. Watch something funny

Nothing helps stress as much as forgetting about it.  Catch up on some of your favorite sitcoms and let all your stress fade away.  Entering another world for 20 minutes can help you to calm down immensly.  Here are some suggestions to get you started: The Office, The Mindy Project, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, New Girl, and Arrested Development.

Keep Calm and Remember: Finals Aren’t Forever!

Her Campus at Emory University