5 Creative Formal Gifts That Are Not Coolers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s that time of year again—are you freaking out over a frat formal? Are you worried that your cooler design just isn’t cool enough, or that your painting skills aren’t quite Picasso-quality? Maybe you’re super busy and just don’t have time to get it all done? Don’t worry, because you are certainly not alone. Here are some alternate ideas of how to relieve that stress and impress your formal date.

Note: For other ideas or for advice on literally anything craft-related, be sure to check out The Cooler Connection and the This Is Not A Cooler But… Facebook pages! They have awesome examples of painted flasks, Bubba kegs, big water bottles, etc. You don’t always have to go the exhausting cooler route!

1. Sunscreen Flask

Lather up!  This idea is easy and it’s pretty simple. All you need to do is wash out a sunscreen bottle—be sure to wash it out well because you don’t want to end up consuming the lotion! After it’s cleaned out, refill the bottle with your date’s favorite drink. You’ll be sure to get a laugh when he discovers this unexpected surprise!

2. Inflatable Baby Pool 

This is practically a cooler on steroids. You can you put ice water in it to chill your drinks on the beach…and you, your date, and your friends can splash around in it later! Spruce it up with some decorations and you’re golden.

3. Boogie Board or Skim Board

Surfs up!  Why not get him something he can actually use and have fun with?  I suggest personalizing a boogie or skim board with his fraternity letters, favorite things, or personal jokes! He will love it and be eager to use it at formal and after!

4. Chipotle 

Pictures speak louder than words, but calorie-dense Mexican chow screams louder than both. Let’s be honest: when faced with an ice-filled box or a loaded burrito bowl, there is no competition.Want your date to drool over you? Chipotle’s the answer.

5. Boutonniere 

If all else fails, go old school.  A boutonniere might not be entirely what your date is looking for, but it will let him see that you are serious about him. WARNING: flowers are always romantic!! If you are not going for this vibe, you should probably steer clear.
Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.
Her Campus at Emory University