Why I Won’t Stop Loving Harry Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I cried when Zayn left One Direction on March 25th, 2015 because I thought his departure symbolized the end of my youth. It was strange to feel so attached to someone I’ve only seen from the top of Gillette Stadium, but it’s like I knew him and he was leaving to embark on his own journey far away from me and the rest of his bandmates.

Even though I was sad about Zayn’s departure, all I could think about was how Harry Styles must feel.

I’ll be honest, I have a framed picture of Harry Styles in my closet and put his picture in the rotation of my regular phone backgrounds. Does that make me a super fangirl? Yes, of course it does. Am I ashamed? Not really.

In my mind, Harry Styles and I have been transitioning into this quasi-adult life together, even if he doesn’t know I exist. Because we’re of similar age – he was born in ‘94 and I was born in ‘95 – I feel like we’ve grown up together. From awful clothing stages and weird hairstyles to him carving out his own space as a solo artist, and similarly, me trying to attempt to be a person in the post grad world. I feel like he just gets me.

I’ve read countless news articles about his kind ways, and maybe I’m blinded by his dazzling smile, but I buy into the fact that he’s just a normal guy navigating a very abnormal life. He seems approachable, although I don’t know if I’d be able to utter a sentence if we met, and he is devoted to his fans.

I admire his commitment to being a feminist (I squealed when he posted a “He for She” picture), and enjoy his lack of social media presence. Instead of being a celebrity that’s always posting and crafting a superficial image, he sculpts an aesthetic that revolves around his interests and promotes worthy causes. I also like that he wears what he wants without caring what critics say. He has inspired me to show more of my personality through fashion too.

When I heard about his new single being released, Sign of the Times, I was oddly proud of him and excited to see he was living life like he wanted to. I’m 21 years old, and this borderline obsession I have with Harry Styles will probably never die. I’m excited to hear his new album and follow him on his journey to solo success!

Betsy Roy

Emmanuel

Betsy is a senior at Emmanuel College studying secondary education and history, and is the chapter's Social Media Director. Believing she'll pen the next Great American Novel, Betsy enjoys: art museums, long walks on the beach, and napping in front of fireplaces.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.