sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten Songs to Play on Your Summer Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you’re planning on taking a road trip this summer, you’re going to need some tunes. I’ve compiled a list of songs that I fully intend on listening to during my three hour drives to camp.

Hold Back the River- James Bay

I’ve been playing this song over and over for the last week. I’ll be accepting an award for my incredible shower rendition of “Hold Back the River” within the week.

Jackie and Wilson- Hozier

Hozier is known for “Take Me to Church,” but his whole album is worth some attention. I listen to “Jackie and Wilson” on repeat, like I did with “Someone New” and “To Be Alone”.

Collide- James Bay

Yeah, another James Bay. I’m obsessed. “Collide” is a little more rock than the alternative “Hold Back the River” but I love them equally.

Traveller- Chris Stapleton

I’m not typically a huge fan of country music, but after hearing Stapleton cover “Tennessee Whiskey”, I had to listen to more of his album. “Traveller” is my current favorite of his, after “Tennessee Whiskey”, of course.

Dangerous Woman- Ariana Grande

This song is such a guilty pleasure! I don’t usually gravitate towards pop but Ariana Grande’s voice is just too good. Seriously, she’s got pipes. Check out this video of her singing “Dangerous Woman” acapella.

Where the Devil Don’t Go- Elle King

Elle King’s voice/music/everything is badass. If you liked “Ex’s & Oh’s,” you should give this song a shot.

Flowers in Your Hair- The Lumineers

The Lumineers have a ton of great songs, but “Flowers in Your Hair”is perfect for a mellow drive.

Haim- The Wire

The three Haim sisters sing “The Wire”, from their 2013 album Days Are Gone. It’s not as new as some of the other songs on the list, but I just started listening to Haim and had to include this one.

Criminal Mind- Lukas Graham

The “7 Years” singer is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists to sing along with in the car. Once I knew the words, I started rocking out to “Criminal Mind” too.

Life is a Highway- Rascal Flatts

Do I like this song? Not particularly. Do I insist on playing it during every road trip? Absolutely.

Eimile Bowden is a senior at Emmanuel College and is the President of the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. She is a double major in English Writing and Literature and Theatre Arts. Eimile's other hobbies include tie dying, rewatching grey's anatomy, and playing with dogs. 
Her Campus Emmanuel