This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s the start of the new semester and your first test is probably right around the corner. Here are a couple tips  to help you get prepared, find the right materials to ensure you never forget about an assignment, and things to keep you concentrated to make studying easier!

Planner: Having a planners seems almost too silly to include, because it is a must have. I use my planner to write in my homework for the night, and to-do items. I like to write in everything in order of importance, such as start paper, send email, and then reading for religion.

Calendar: I have a giant desk calendar that I keep in the drawer right under my desk, (It’s the perfect size!) and I write all my assignments for the semester on it. The squares are big enough so that I can fit everything from my syllabi on it. I pick a color for each class, and write everything in. I also put major events on it too, including vacations, career fairs, and birthdays.

Highlighters: I don’t understand how people can read articles without highlighting, because pens just don’t cut it. Pick a color you actually enjoy ( I use the fat pink ones), and highlight quotes or passages I think are important. This helps when you are in class, because you can simply scan through the article, and talk about the section you highlighted. This helps a lot when your professor calls on you on the spot.

Flashcards: Not everyone is a flashcard person, but I love them! I use them for term memorization, names, and even for art history. For History of Photography, I cut out a picture of every photo from the study list, and glue it to one side, and put the artist, year, movement and important takeaways on the other.

Headphones: Having a nice pair of headphones can really help when you’re in the library. Having them in is also a great signal to people that you’re really trying to study and don’t want to chit chat. Now you don’t need to go spending hundreds on a pair of Beats. I have a pair of big SkullCandy headphones, and they work great for only $50!

Go to the library prepared: Having to leave the library because you forgot something, need a snack, or some caffeine, is the worst. Go prepared! I always make a mental checklist before I go so that I don’t forget anything. I also always bring some gum, lots of pens, flashcards, snacks, and money for the coffee machine (sounds sketchy but it is quite tasty). I know that sounds like an excessive amount of things, but hey you,you  never know how long you’ll be there.

Actually go to office hours:Office hours can be uncomfortable if you don’t know your professor well, but this is the perfect chance to get to know them. Professors want you to come and ask questions, because that’s the whole point of them sitting in their office for two hours. Showing up shows that you are invested in the class, and are making a true effort in their class.

I hope these tips help, and that your semester’s great! Remember, you got this!

A small but mighty 5'4 female who is a lover of dogs, all things chocolate and fashion. Sophomore at Emmanuel College.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.