Some Thoughts on JanuARIE…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

This season of The Bachelor has messed with me a little bit. Months ago, when Arie was announced as the next bachelor, my initial reaction caused my jaw to drop and forced me to ask anyone around me who this guy is. I only started watching The Bachelor during Juan Pablo’s season, so Arie’s past season was too old for my current Bachelor knowledge. I began the season without many expectations and fully prepared myself to be annoyed with every date and young girl. But, Arie isn’t too bad. He’s a nice guy and I genuinely think he’s there to find his wife.

First off, I love the pun JanuARIE. I think it’s great because it’s simple and gets to the point. I look forward to January every year just because it’s the start of The Bachelor. Although it’s a pun and we may roll our eyes, it’s better than JUANuary. I mean, Juan Pablo was the worst bachelor in bachelor history, but it’s okay.

Apparently, in his season of The Bachelorette, Arie was known as the Kissing Bandit. I think he has been kissing too many people so early on the season!. Arie started this season by stating that he wanted to wait to kiss girls, just to make sure he liked them, but it doesn’t appear that way. I can only imagine how much he kissed the bachelorette all those years ago to gain the nickname.

My biggest issue with this season so far is BEKAH M.! I agree her age is a huge issue, and I don’t think that she will make it to the final rose. Love is about more than just the physical connection, and that’s all she has going for her relationship with Arie. Her twenty-two-year-old lifestyle is completely different than Arie’s thirty-six-year-old lifestyle. I don’t think their relationship would last any longer than Andy and Josh’s, just because life outside of a reality TV show is so different!

Still, I don’t understand why her age is such a problem if there are other contestants as young as twenty-three, and their age isn’t a problem in the slightest. Arie is thirty-six years old and needs a wife who can live a life which is congruent with his, which will be difficult to find considering these girls on The Bachelor seem to be getting younger every year. Arie, start by getting rid of girls who are more than a decade younger than you!

One of my favorite things about Arie is that I saw him eat on a date! Maybe I missed it another time, but I SAW HIM EAT. No one eats on Bachelor dates. I read once that it’s because the chewing causes problems with the microphones, but I’m not sure how Arie got around this. I’m loving it though. No one wants that great food to go to waste!

Furthermore, I couldn’t have written about this season without mentioning Krystal. Like, why is she still there? She’s got to go, Arie! But, I see it coming so it’s not even worth mentioning. My opinion: the final rose will come down to Becca K. and Tia, but we’ll see. I’ll come back to you with a review of how it all goes down on THE MOST DRAMATIC SEASON YET!

Ashley is a senior studying English Communications and Media Studies at Emmanuel College in Boston. Currently, she acts as the President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. In the past, she acted as the Public Relations Director for the 2017-2018 year. She loves all things PR and in her spare time enjoys watching cute ads on Youtube.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.