SNL’s “Welcome to Hell” is the Skit We All Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

First of all if you haven’t seen it yet- check it out here.

Once again, the ladies of SNL are killing the game and easing the tension towards the situation that is the terrifying, law breaking, nasty men finally getting called out and facing the repercussions for their behavior. Amazing!

The video makes some really important points about this crisis, all set in a scene that looks like a Katy Perry music video. Here are some of the best quotes; let’s break this down.

“Cats out of the bag! Women get harassed all the time.” Fun fact! This is not a recent phenomenon. Women have dealt with harassment, groping and having to run to their cars at night for hundreds of years!

“This been the damn world.” Like I said, women have been dealing with scumbags since the beginning of time. Welcome, creepy men, to our world of hardship!

“This ain’t a girl group, we just travel in a pack for safety.” This gif is an accurate depiction of me walking to my car at night if I am alone, even though I have NO IDEA what I’m supposed to with my key if I actually encounter a creep. My freshman year of college one of my guy friends asked me why I didn’t go out one night to a party and I answered because my friend was already there and I had no one to walk over with (it was past 11). He seemed incredibly confused at the concept that I didn’t want to walk the streets of Boston alone at night because it is a problem he has never had to face.

“Why didn’t you say something baby girl? Well dang double daddy, we definitely did. For hundreds of years. But I guess no one like, cared.” We might have mentioned it once, or twice A DAY! The fact that men are finally being held responsible is something that makes me so happy because I am a junior in college. While this is not something that is going to change over night,  I can only hope that my the time I graduate, there is a smaller chance that I will be harassed at work.

“Here’s a list of stuff that’s ruined for us: parking and walking and Uber and ponytails, bathrobes and night time, drinking and hotels and vans.” Personally, I take Uber’s by myself. But the first time I told my roommate that, she was actually appalled and now makes me text her whenever I am in one. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do- but that doesn’t mean she isn’t thinking about everything that could go wrong the entire time. Nighttime is, as mentioned, a dark time, literally and figuratively. While walking alone, our hearts beat faster at every sound and guy we see until we have past them. Drinking is always a gamble, because while not every man alive is a creep waiting to pounce, it’s something you always have to think about, especially since your judgement would be impaired!

And, of course, all of this is a million times worse for women of color.

Thank you ladies of SNL for always making me laugh and for bringing an important situation to the forefront.

So “Yeah it ain’t fair, pull up a chair, welcome to hell!”

A small but mighty 5'4 female who is a lover of dogs, all things chocolate and fashion. Sophomore at Emmanuel College.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.