Reasons to Watch End of the F***ing World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

So over break I decided to binge watch some Netflix, but I wasn’t sure what to watch. There were the obvious choices- Criminal Minds, Jane the Virgin, John Mulaney’s standup specials- all in my Netflix queue waiting to be rewatched. None of these seemed right though, and finding something new is always hard with the thousands of shows Netflix has in their catalogue. It dawned on me that I had seen an interesting commercial on facebook for a new show that had just come out with a pretty saucy name: End of the F***ing World. I figured it was as good an idea as any, and I ended up finishing the series that night.

To sum up the show without spoilers: James is 17 and thinks he a psychopath and plans on killing someone. He meets fellow troubled teen Alyssa and he pretends to be in love with her in order to make her his target. Naturally, things don’t go to plan and the two end up in some scary, funny, and sweet situations after they decide to run away from home. It’s a complex weaving of several genres that never takes itself to seriously.

There are many things I loved about the show, but I’m going to give you the top reasons as to why you need to watch it ASAP.

1. The Style Think about if Wes Anderson and Quentin Tarantino collaborated to make a series, and that’s exactly what you can expect. Stylized and plot driven violence, quirky characters, and aesthetic scenery for days, it’s a perfect mash of sweet young love found in Wes Anderson’s films,  and the suspense any fan of Tarantino would like.

2. The Acting It stars two relatively unknown actors, Alex Lawther and Jessica Barden, who absolutely immerse themselves into the lead roles. They play damaged, troubled teens who are simply looking for a place in the world in a way that’s honest, self-aware, and subtle. Nothing seems forced or overdone.

3. The Twist The show takes a turn from classic teen run away story to a narrative that many don’t see coming. What begins as relatively light (as light as murder can be) show, it takes an emotional, heart wrenching turn that was surprising and intriguing to watch. It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen and brought me through the whole spectrum of emotions.

4. The Humor The humor is self aware and deadpan, which helps sell the show. The jokes are effortless and the script lends itself to take a dark subject and make it funny.

5. The Length The show is only 8 episodes long, and each only about 20 minutes. It’s about as long as a movie so you can watch it in a night, and with how addictive it is, you won’t want to stop. Each episode sets you up for wanting more and more.

Honestly, there isn’t anything else I need to say other than just go watch this amazing show. You won’t be disappointed.

Victoria Dias

Emmanuel '20

Theater and Communications Major. Dog Lover. Amateur Writer. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.