alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Pledge to Watch My Words

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

There are so many words we “can’t say” in today’s modern world. Stemming from the fear of insulting others, as well as our ignorance about the true meanings behind these words, it can sometimes be difficult to realize that what you’re saying is offensive.

I have personally had doubts about this, chalking it up to people just overreacting or being too sensitive to what others say. I mean, most people don’t say these words with the intention of hurting others, but that doesn’t make it right. Thankfully, throughout my college experience, I have learned why this mindset is both ignorant and offensive. I can proudly say I am now intentionally selective about the words that make up my daily vocabulary and I am no longer unconsciously hurting others with my language.

I’m lucky many of my close friends share this same outlook as me. Justine Bouthot, a senior at the University of Maine, is president of an organization called Active Minds on her campus and has an array of knowledge regarding mental health. She was kind enough to take the time to talk with me and share her insight on why watching your words is important and hopefully educate those who may not know how impactful their words can be.

Read on to learn more about what you can do to make a difference or simply educate yourself on the stigma surrounding mental health.

Her Campus Emmanuel: Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts about this topic! I’m excited to hear what you have to say. To start off, what made you want to become involved with Active Minds at UMaine? And can you explain a little about what Active Minds is for those who may not be familiar with this organization?

Justine Bouthot: Active Minds (AM) is a national organization with chapters throughout nearly 500 college campuses in the US. The goal of Active Minds is to change the conversation about mental health on campuses. Through educational outreach, advocacy, and support, we aim to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health in order to create a more open and supportive environment. I got involved in Active Minds my sophomore year and eventually became a Co-President both my junior and senior year. I am a Psychology and Sociology major with a passion for mental health. Active Minds is the perfect fit for me!

HCE: It sounds like not only a great experience but an impactful one too. In what ways would you say being a part of this has affected your personal outlook?

JB: Overall, being a member of Active Minds has allowed me to gain a lot of perspective. Before joining, I only knew my own mental health journey, as well as my immediate family’s. Both the stories I have heard and the knowledge I have gained through AM has made me a better person, and it’s given me a platform to make a difference. I’ve taken that role very seriously.

HCE: I know I personally cringe when I hear people casually say “they’re a psycho” in reference to someone who did something “crazy”, but I only learned why this is harmful from you. What are some phrases that people should avoid saying in reference to mental health?

JB: How often do we hear, “Oh, stop that’s giving me PTSD”, “She’s so OCD about her room”, “He’s so bipolar” or “I’m going to kill myself”? Have you ever stopped to really recognize what you’re saying? Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans a year, not even counting the millions of loved ones affected by it. ONE in FOUR people in the United States suffer from a mental health disorder such as PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, or OCD on top of many others. Out of all the words in the dictionary, people still choose to belittle mental illness by using diagnostic labels casually in everyday conversation. Language like this adds nothing to conversation, and only perpetuates stigma.

HCE: Language really is impactful, whether people realize it or not. It’s widely known that saying things such as “that’s gay” or “you’re a fag” are extremely offensive, especially in today’s culture. What can others do to help stop the use of harmful phrases in regards to mental health? How can we spread awareness?

JB: Be courageous in your mental health advocacy! The worst thing mental health stigma does is silence us. Don’t let it. When someone says, “Oh, that test was so hard that I’m going to kill myself”, you can respond with “Are you really going to?” or “That’s not a great phrase to say.” Anything. Make them recognize what they are saying. The difficult part comes afterwards when you have to explain WHY these phrases are so detrimental to the mental health community. Be a stigma fighter!!

HCE: I have personally seen the spread of mental illnesses on college campuses too from my role as a Resident Assistant. This includes depression, anxiety, and negative methods of coping with stress. What advice would you give to someone who is struggling with coming to terms with their mental health? Why is it necessary to seek help?

JB: Never be afraid to reach out! Every university has some version of a Counseling Center on campus, which can be a great resource. Look into your campus Active Minds chapter or look into starting a chapter yourself. And at the very least, talk it out. It’s okay to be vulnerable. Remind yourself each day that life is worth living amidst your mental health battle and remind your loved ones too. Most importantly, know you are not alone. Although it doesn’t seem like it now, things WILL get better and you will become stronger through it all. But you need to be steadfast in your mental health battle for yourself, and we as advocates must be fearless in our fight for you. The world needs you here.

We hope this information gave you more insight into how to fight mental health stigma. Educating yourself is the first step and simply being careful of what you say is next. Be the difference. And if you ever feel alone, just know you never truly are. Check out the links below for more information!

Visit www.activeminds.org for more information!

For advice on starting a chapter- email justine.bouthot@maine.edu

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Her Campus Emmanuel