I’m Single, but I Love Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s that time of year again when candy hearts and over-priced chocolates are everywhere you turn. Flowers in nearby stores will soon consist only of reds, pinks, and whites with the tiny “I love you” balloons displayed beside them. February is a month of love – right? So why do so many single girls cringe at the thought of Valentine’s Day?

I’m here to tell you you can be single and still shamelessly love Valentine’s Day. It’s okay, really! Here are some reasons why this is completely acceptable…

Just because you’re not in a relationship right now doesn’t mean you never were.

Yes, maybe it ended horribly or maybe you’re one of the lucky ones who managed to stay friends with their ex. Either way, you still probably know what it feels like to be giddily happy to be with someone. It’s okay to miss that feeling. But why resent others for enjoying it?

There’s a hopeless romantic in many of us.

I know I’m guilty of believing those sappy romance movies can actually happen to me in real life. I mean, why not? This is a perfect day to envy those couples you see walking hand in hand across campus (and maybe complain about their excessive PDA to your friends). However, don’t forget to remind yourself that your ideal significant other will turn up in your life at the right moment, usually when you least expect it.

It’s a day of love, but not just for couples.

I still receive a heartfelt card from my memere every year on Valentine’s Day. The card always has a cute little animal displayed on the cover with a typical Hallmark poem written inside. This is a perfect day to reach out to those you love and remind them how thankful you are to have them in your life. Share the love ladies; it’s needed!

Being single has its perks.

Many college women choose to be single for various reasons. This is the time in your life where being selfish is completely acceptable (for the most part). If this means turning down a date on Valentine’s Day to go out with your girlfriends, drink and eat as you please, go for it. Genuine relationships can be difficult to come by so it’s important to maintain those that you already have – even if it’s on a day traditionally for couples.

Three words: flowers and chocolate.

Need I say more? I am personally not a huge chocolate lover (I know, what’s wrong with me?) but pretty much all of my friends are. Chocolates will soon be going on sale and everyone seems to become more generous on Valentine’s Day too. Last year I had two strangers give me roses and it completely made my day. Generosity and lots of goodies – what could be better?

Cheers to a love-filled day ladies. I hope you all find a way to enjoy it!

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.