This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Summer will be here before we know it and I can already hear the champagne bottles popping in celebration. A break from school work, stress, and college obligations – what could be better? Summer is a chance to create even more memories, but it’s also a chance to get ahead. Here are a few ideas on how to make the most of your days when you’re not lounging by the pool.

Create a list of goals.

This is one of the more helpful ways to keep yourself on track as the summer months progress. Set attainable goals for yourself – anything from running a few miles every week to making a certain amount of money. Accomplishing these goals will not only make you feel good about yourself but will inspire you to do more.

Get a job or an internship.

We all know how expensive college can be, especially if you love to “treat yourself” as often as I do. Maintaining a summer job will help to build your resume and relieve some stress about money. An internship will allow you to build a greater network and give you experience in a potential field of work. Both opportunities show initiative, which is key to impressing future employers.

Update your resume.

As you become more involved in various organizations, companies, and volunteer work, it is important to keep your resume up to date. You may not be applying for anything during the summer months, but you’ll have the upper hand once you return to school.

Explore.

I am a firm believer real life experience tops anything else. Take your friends or journey alone, but be sure to adventure this summer. Travel to new places or even visit areas in your home state that are unfamiliar to you. It’s always fun to put yourself out there – so why not?

Work on your health.

For many people summer can be just as busy as the school year, but it’s still crucial to find ways to eat healthy and work out. Being busy is a lifestyle these days, however, it shouldn’t be an excuse to put self-care on the back burner. Getting into a healthy mindset will hopefully carry over once you return to school in the fall as well.

Read.

Whether you’re reading the newest Lena Dunham book or your favorite magazine, just read. During the school year it’s difficult to find time to enjoy your own books because of the amount you have to read for classes. This is why summer is a prime opportunity to soak up those books you’ve been wanting to read while you lay out on the beach.

Of course, don’t forget to have those days where you do absolutely nothing but have fun. Those stress-free days are far and few between once school rolls around, so take advantage of them while you can. Cheers to being productive! Summer, where you at?

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Her Campus Emmanuel