This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Up until my freshman year of college, I thought I was straight. I found boys attractive and, like most other girls my age, I had developed crushes on them. I even had my first crush on a boy in preschool. But even though I knew I was straight, I did have an inkling of an idea that I might not be completely straight. I remember being a young teenager, probably 14 or 15, and watching a JennaMarbles video, like every other awkward teenage girl did. She had a video called “Girl Crushes” where she said, “I can’t tell if I want to be you, or be on you. Can I just f*cking stare at you ‘till I figure it out?”. To this day, I still remember that quote so well because I found myself asking it to myself all the time. I would see an attractive girl and ask that question to myself, but I never was able to answer it. Around the same time, I also began watching those cute couple vlogs on YouTube, my favorite of those videos being Kaelyn and Lucy, a long-distance couple of a few years, who broke up only a year or so ago. I still wasn’t crushing on any particular girls at school, but I knew deep down that there was a part of me that knew I wasn’t straight.

Fast forward a few years to freshman year of college, I finally had my first crush on a girl. She was incredibly talented and so beautiful, and she was out. I had never met any girls who were out before, so this was a new experience. However, I had begun dating a guy a few weeks prior to meeting her, so nothing would ever come of it. Even though it was nothing but a school-girl crush, it affirmed my feelings that yes, I like girls too. Suddenly, things began to make sense.

A few years later, I’m a junior and have finally broken up with that boy I had been dating. He was emotionally abusive and effectively isolated me from my friend group, because I was always so upset and reserved. When I had told him that I was bi, he reacted very defensively. He had believed that because I am also attracted to girls, then I must not be attracted to him as well. He was so adamant in this belief that I also began to believe it too. This belief carried over into other aspects of our relationship as well, and I began to feel like it was wrong to be attracted to any woman at all. Or anyone who wasn’t him. After almost two years of dating off and on, I finally found the courage inside of myself to break up with him, and it has been one of the most freeing feelings that I have ever experienced.

It’s only been a few weeks since we broke up, but this is the happiest that I have been in quite some time. I’ve been talking to a girl that all year had been known as “the cute girl down the hall”. But now, she has a real name. She makes me nervous and excited and flustered and I find myself asking when the last time was that I had these feelings. Regardless of what happens, I am so thankful for her. She has allowed me to fully realize and accept myself for who I am. Not a girl who is constantly anxious and wondering why she is never enough, but a girl who is comfortable in her own skin and eager to see what lies ahead.

I am proud of who I am, and I will never again let someone make me feel wrong for expressing that side of myself. I still haven’t told come out to my family, but when I decide to, I may use this article to explain it to them, as I’m sure they will have many questions. So here goes. . . Hey Mom, I’m bisexual.

Her Campus Emmanuel
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.