Halloween Costumes on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

At least once in my Halloween career, I have planned extravagant costumes that required a wig, extensive makeup, and a store-bought costume. Unfortunately, my bank account and I aren’t always on the same page. Here are a few ideas that I’ve seen on social media or heard about from friends that are hilarious and easy to make.

1. “Leaf Blower”. Get pun-y with it. One of my favorite Halloween costumes ever is the “leaf blower”. Tape a piece of string from the brim of the baseball hat and attach a leaf. Whenever someone asks what your Halloween costume is, blow on the leaf attached to the hat. Ta-da! You’re a leaf blower.

2. Sandy from Grease. You will need: black leggings, black shirt, leather jacket, and heels. Curl your hair and add some red lips if you’re dedicated. Catchy musical number at a carnival is optional. Check out these two cuties that went as Danny and Sandy for Halloween! Insta-Inspiration: _tesifer _hooligenburg_

3. Charlie Brown from It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! Go with me on this one. All you need is a sheet and a pillowcase, and it’s more interesting than a typical ghost costume. Cut multiple poorly placed holes into the sheet and carry a pillowcase with a few small rocks inside. If you need further instruction, watch this video:

4. Rosie the Riveter. You will need: denim shirt, red bandana. Warning: Rosie the Riveter is a bad*ss icon of women in the workplace, so get ready to spread some information about gender equality. #wecandoit Insta-Inspriation: lorenaprz92

5. Regina George from Mean Girls. You will need: black skirt, white tank top. If you don’t have the iconic purple bra or don’t want to cut the tank top, just tape on some colored circles! If you have a pink binder lying around, it wouldn’t hurt to make it look like the burn book- just leave out the nasty commentary. Insta-Inspiration: gracie555

6. Max from Where the Wild Things Are. You will need: gray clothing, yellow construction paper. This costume is perfect if you’re looking for something comfy, and a paper crown is super easy to make! Insta-Inspiration: beckiewaller1

7. Mrs. Frizzle of The Magic School Bus. Seat belts, everyone! Print out pictures of planets and attach them to a dress to recreate Mrs. Frizzle’s classic solar system outfit. You win all of the Halloween points if you bring along a stuffed iguana. Insta- Inspiration: lrebelo182

8. Britney’s look from “Hit Me Baby One More Time”. You will need: gray cardigan, white button down, skirt, knee high socks. Throw your hair in some high pigtails and you’re ready to go. LC (my personal queen) rocked this outfit a few years ago, but Britney never goes out of style. Insta-Inspiration: laurenconrad

These SPOOK-tacular costumes are sure to make you look extra BOO-tiful this Halloween!

Eimile Bowden is a senior at Emmanuel College and is the President of the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. She is a double major in English Writing and Literature and Theatre Arts. Eimile's other hobbies include tie dying, rewatching grey's anatomy, and playing with dogs. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.