Follow Her to the Azores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Over winter break I had the privilege of traveling to the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores. For anyone who doesn’t know, all nine islands that make up the Azores have nicknames, and Sao Miguel is known as the green island. It is very obvious why as soon as you step off the plane.

Throughout this eight day trip, I was able to travel the entire length of the island, and it only become more and more beautiful each day.

There are no main roads, and so you have to travel along the cliffs of the island. Our driver “Johnny the Spider” (his last name translates to spider in English), would whip around the corners going at least 65 mph. But he brought us to some of the most beautiful places, far off the beaten path.

This country is filled with so much history and culture, and you feel like you have been transported to a better place. There is a story for everything, and it makes you wonder why you still live in America. The guitars pictured below are handcrafted, and the two hearts symbolize a husband and wife. Since the husband often had to be away from home at the fishing village to work, the two hearts converge into a single tear drop, so that they are always one. Yes, I may have cried a bit when I heard this beautiful story.

The eight days flew by, and I cried as I boarded the plane to go home. I cannot wait to go back, and yes, I will go back. But for now, I can just reminisce about all the sights on this beautiful green island in the Atlantic.

I am a junior at Emmanuel College. I am a math major that also loves writing (weird I know). I hope that my articles can add a little light to your day, because they will probably not be educational!
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.