Embracing “Hamilton”: A Theater Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Hamilton, a new musical on Broadway, is quickly becoming one of the most successful shows to hit the stage. Written entirely by Lin-Manuel Miranda and based on a biography of Alexander Hamilton’s life written by Ron Chernov, the show has taken off. Despite my love for Miranda’s other major work, In the Heights, I was skeptical of a rap musical about the life of a founding father. But after listening to the first song, I was hooked. I listened to the entire show, watched all of the interviews, and waited for the Grammy performance. And the more invested I became in Hamilton, I realized that it is the start of a theater revolution. I’ve been trying to pinpoint what I find so moving and intriguing about Hamilton, and here’s what I’ve come up with.

The cast is made up of minorities. With a few exceptions, the cast is made up of Latino, Asian, and African-American performers. And, for those who don’t know, Broadway is predominately white. (If your argument is The Lion King… don’t. Just don’t). Hamilton is giving Broadway a much needed update.

The music is brilliant. One of the genius components of the score are the references to other artists and styles. Some of the references are subtle, and some are more noticeable. My personal favorite is the Beatles-esque “La da da” featured in King George’s songs. Another piece of the score’s brilliance is the use of different instruments and styles for each character. I

personally like to compare the pop/R&B style of Eliza’s songs to the heavy use of rap in Angelica’s songs.

And, finally, Hamilton is an inherently feminist musical. If you’re ready for this article to start wrapping up, I’m just getting started. Although there are more male characters than female characters (welcome to American history), each of the women are powerhouses in their own way. The females have great depth, emotional arcs, and distinguished personalities. The two leading ladies, Eliza and Angelica, are captivating. And, get this: Eliza and Angelica have opinions and thoughts and ideas! (Sarcasm absolutely intended). Angelica’s character in particular identifies the gender role she feels pressure to fulfill. She raps, “I’m a girl in a world in which my only job is to marry rich. My father has no sons so I’m the one who has to social climb…”. I don’t want to give too much away to those who haven’t listened to the show, but keep your eyes on the Schuyler sisters.

And I haven’t even started to scratch the surface of the show’s depth. Featuring a cast of racial minorities, multiple styles of music, and issues from the foundation of America that parallel the 21st century, Hamilton has started an uprising on Broadway. For those who haven’t listened, I hope you consider giving it a try. To my fellow Hamilton fans: stay young, scrappy, and hungry. 

Eimile Bowden is a senior at Emmanuel College and is the President of the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. She is a double major in English Writing and Literature and Theatre Arts. Eimile's other hobbies include tie dying, rewatching grey's anatomy, and playing with dogs. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.