“Do What You Love”: An Interview with Ashley Houston-King (‘15)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Ashley Houston-King is currently a senior here at Emmanuel. She is from Mansfield, Mass., and is studying elementary education. An established student leader and scholar on campus, she is being featured as our Campus Celebrity for her outstanding performance in the Blast From the Past: Dance Team Showcase, and for her leadership as captain of the team.

(Ashley, on the left, holding a trophy from a Dance Team competition)

HCE: What motivated you to come to Emmanuel College?

AHK: I came to Emmanuel because I felt like I belonged here. I am a very intuitive person and it just felt right at the time. As soon as I got here, I fell in love with it.

HCE: What connection do you have to your major? Why elementary education above anything else?

AHK: I am an education major because I love kids. I’ve loved kids my whole life. My first experience teaching and working with children was when I was 12; I taught preschoolers in CCD classes. When I was 16 I started teaching dance, and in high-school I taught Spanish to younger students. I’ve loved it ever since.

HCE: How have you enjoyed your professional teaching experience so far?

AHK: My first real teaching experience was a third grade class, for my practicum. My student teaching this year is in a fourth grade class. The core focus of the class is on moderate disabilities. I work with students on all ends of the spectrum. The school I student teach at is an inclusion school, in which all supports come into the classroom. Every single class has two teachers; one teacher is a general teacher and the other is a teacher specialized in special education. It’s what I love. That’s important…, that you do what you love.  

HCE: So true! Could you share some of the things you’re involved with on campus?

AHK: Presently, I am the President for ODK and the Vice President for 1804 Society, dealing with internal relations. I am also the Dance Team Captain.

HCE: Why did you decide to get so involved here at Emmanuel? Some students just coast along. What sparked your interest to really invest yourself in this campus?

AHK: One of the things that drew me to EC was that you could get involved with anything and everything. I liked that you weren’t really defined by anything. I tried to take advantage of all the things available and then focused on the things that make me happy. Those things were things that stuck.

HCE: Considering your teaching experience and your time as a student leader on campus, what have you learning about working with others?

AHK: Teaching is something that doesn’t just happen in the classroom. I would say this semester has taught me about people, not just in academic senses. For example, in (dance) practice everything goes the same way it does in the classes I teach in. I don’t like talking down to people or being bossy. I talk to my fourth graders like they can handle what I’m saying, ‘cause they can.  We’re all just big kids with the same emotions and feelings. A big part of being a student leader is realizing that it’s not about being above people, because you want to be the best. You want to make sure everyone is happy. Why bother if you’re not working to make others happy?

HCE: Is there one specific organization, person, or event you’ve been involved with that has inspired you or affected you personally?

AHK: Each and every thing and person I’ve come into contact with, has taught me something new and  different not just about myself but about people in general. You meet some amazing people and some not so amazing, and both sides together end up being amazing when you’re around people (who you can) grow and learn from.  

HCE: Did you come in to college with any expectations of the experience? Did you know you would end up being such a rock star on campus?

AHK: I don’t see myself as rock star. I love this campus and try to give back. I want to be a part of it, especially since I am leaving. In high school, I was a lot shyer, or not as ready, not in the way I am involved here at EC. When I was in my freshman year of college, the seniors were so inspiring and smart and real. They were genuine in everything they did, and they were always honest. My expectation was to aspire to be like them.

HCE: With graduation coming up, how do you think that college has shaped you ?

AHK: Emmanuel is always my home. This is somewhere I was able to grow up. In giving tours for admissions, I learned to say that ‘Boston is your extended classroom’ and it is so true. The whole point of us being in the heart of the city is to go out and explore and learn about all the things going on the world. For the 1804 Society, I’ve served in South Boston. I’ve been placed in Dorchester and Brookline for student teaching. It exposes you to what goes on outside Emmanuel. I am gonna miss it more than anything. This will always be my home and I feel confident in the people around me that I am graduating with. People are going to do things. It’s impressive.

HCE: What is some last advice for those students that will still be at Emmanuel after you graduate?  

AHK: Take advantage of every opportunity and door that comes your way, on and off campus. EC gave me the support I needed to build up and now I’m ready to ship off and go out in the world. Do what you love.

I am a sophomore at Emmanuel College, majoring in English Writing and Lit, and Global Health.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.