Coming Soon: A Summer Movie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you’re like me, you head to the movies during the summer once in awhile to escape the heat. Here’s a list of comedies, dramas, and animated movies coming out this Summer and their trailers.

The Conjuring 2 (June 10)

The sequel to The Conjuring premieres in June, and is sure to be just as terrifying. After watching the trailer, I’m positive that I won’t be seeing this one due to the fact that I’m a weenie.

Finding Dory (June 17)

No description necessary.

Central Intelligence (June 17)

Central Intelligence is about two men, played by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Kevin Hart, who reunite after high school to take on a dangerous case filled with action. With these two actors, it’s sure to be a hysterical movie packed with adventure.

Free State of Jones (June 24)

Free State of Jones is about the Civil War and a man’s choice to rebel against the Confederacy, starring Matthew McConaughey.  Based on a true story, this drama is sure to be a box office hit.

Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)

This Summer, the sequel to Independence Day will be released twenty years after its predecessor. The cast features multiple actors returning to their original roles like Jeff Goldblum and Vivica A. Fox, in addition to actors like Liam Hemsworth and Sela Ward.

The BFG (July 1)

If you’re nostalgic like me, you freaked out when the rumors of a BFG movie based on the novel by Roald Dahl was confirmed. I recently saw the trailer while I was at the movies, and I freaked out. The BFG is definitely going to be worth a trip to the theater.

The Purge: Election Year (July 1)

The Purge: Election Year is the third movie in the Purge series, and will be released on July 1. The plot focuses on the role of the government in the annual purge, and is sure to be filled with horror.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (July 8)

Zac Efron, Adam DeVine, Anna Kendrick, and Aubrey Plaza star in this ridiculous comedy about two brothers and their quest to find dates. If you’re looking for a movie with crazy stunts, raunchy jokes, and general tomfoolery, this is it.

The Secret Life of Pets (July 8)

This animated family friendly film sets out to answer our questions about what pets do when they’re home alone. Pets are voiced by many actors and comedians, including Louis C.K.,  Ellie Kemper, and Bobby Moynihan.

Ghostbusters (July 15)  

A Ghostbusters remake with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones? Yes, please! These hilarious women will be protecting New York from ghosts and demons this Summer, and there are scenes filmed at right here at Emmanuel! If you look closely, you can see our red JYC front doors and the large white board from the library lecture hall!

Suicide Squad (August 5)

I’m new to the world of superhero movies, but I’m stoked to see Suicide Squad this Summer! It has a star studded cast; I’m particularly excited to see Jared Leto as The Joker.

Pete’s Dragon (August 12)

Another childhood favorite, Disney’s Pete’s Dragon is hitting the theatres on August 12.

Eimile Bowden is a senior at Emmanuel College and is the President of the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. She is a double major in English Writing and Literature and Theatre Arts. Eimile's other hobbies include tie dying, rewatching grey's anatomy, and playing with dogs. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.