Blood Moon Draws Crowd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The Emmanuel College quad was the place to be last night, according to the sea of students staring up at the sky. The Supermoon was the main attraction, appearing for the first time in more than 30 years. The total eclipse of the moon occurred around 10:47 p.m., but students were enjoying the cool air, wrapped up in blankets, long before that. 

City lights dimmed the visibility, but curiosity kept the crowd’s gaze. Emily Penta, a senior at Emmanuel, said she had been watching videos and reading articles about this rare moon in preparation for last night. There will not be another sighting until the year 2033, her surrounding friends explained to me. Penta majors in business management, but her interest in science had her exclaim, “I’m just a nerd,” when asked why she was outside with everyone else.

The unexpected gathering of over 100 people was not everyone’s ideal way to enjoy the moon, however. “I would rather be sprawled out in the middle of a field somewhere,” explained sophomore Julia Thetford. Blankets filled the quad as word of mouth caused the crowd to continue to grow throughout the night. Many students began clapping and howling at the moon when it reached its final stage and captured everyone’s attention. “It looks like a burnt Cheeto exploded,” Maria Rago said excitedly, as she tried to think of the perfect description for the unique color of the Supermoon, also known as the Blood Moon.

The Blood Moon is not only beautiful, but it holds spiritual meanings for many. During the span of the moon change, it is said that one should envision all that they wish to invite into their life and all they wish to release. The moon can also be a symbol for renewal if one wishes to harness its energy. “I dig it,” said sophomore Brian Hippern, as he sat with his headphones in and contemplated the meaning behind the moon. “It blows your mind and takes you out of your immediate world.”

Many students used last night as an excuse to hang out with their friends, while others soaked up the science aspect or appreciated the moon as a way to start fresh. No matter the reason, the Supermoon was able to bring the Emmanuel community together for a memorable Sunday under the night sky.

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.