Black Friday in the Eyes Of A Retail Worker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As a Sales Associate at a retail store for almost three years, I can tell you first-hand that working on Black Friday is one of the most dreadful experiences for any worker. People wait hours, maybe even days in advance if they’re that dedicated, and the lines are massive. One thing is certain though; people turn into animals. Now, lets go through the emotions:

1. The night before…

2. The morning of…

3. Right before you leave your house and you beg your parents to let you stay home…

3. Going into work like…

4. Seeing the line of people that have been waiting for hours, maybe days…

5. Looking at the store, seeing all of the neatly folded and hung up clothes, and knowing things will never look the same after the doors open…

6. When the doors open and the Hunger Games is in full force…

7. Having to deal with the customers’ attitudes, but smile through it all…

8. When your shift is finally over…

9. Saying bye to your co-workers and trying not to make it seem like you’re too happy to be leaving, but on the inside you feel like doing cartwheels…

10. When you finally get home and think you deserve an award for surviving the day…

Just remember, shoppers: be nice to your sales associate. We’ve had a long day.

Hi!  My name is Renee and I am a student at Emmanuel College! I am a Graphic Design major and I love everything related to fashion, art, photography, writing, and traveling! 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.