7 Empowering Women You Should Look Up To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

After attending the Her Campus at Emmanuel ‘Women in the Working World Career Panel’, I felt inspired to acknowledge and thank a few powerful women that I idolize. They live their lives as they please and do so because they are strong, caring, and driven individuals. I hope to one day be as successful and applauded as these ladies. Scroll down to see exactly who I’m talking about!

1. Diane Von Furstenberg

Also known as DVF, she is someone who has total faith in herself. She believes in her abilities, knows her worth, and better yet, she strives for greatness with each new day. DVF is a mentor to many women. Her honest words in her book, “The Woman I Wanted to Be”, are what encouraged me to start my own blog back in 2015. Not only does she believe in herself, but she believes in the power of other women. DVF always expresses the beauty of femininity and helps women to be the best version of themselves, both through style and self love. Thank you, DVF, for reminding me that I don’t have to know what I want to do in order to become the woman I want to be.

2. Ellen Degeneres

Hopefully you all know Ellen, one of the most genuinely kind humans out there. Her entire brand is built on the concept of being kind to others and loving yourself – how awesome is that? Ellen has helped people learn to be comfortable in their own skin, no matter who they may be, by living her authentic life every day. She is an inspiration in the LGBTQ+ community, but her passion goes far beyond that. One of my favorite qualities about Ellen is her ability and desire to make people laugh. The world could use more smiles. Thank you, Ellen, for staying true to yourself all these years and inspiring others to do the same. Love is love is love.

3. Blake Lively

Blake is the type of celebrity that instantly captures your heart. Maybe I’m a tad biased, but her genuine personality and inviting demeanor makes her loveable. She is extremely self-deprecating, which you wouldn’t necessarily expect, but of course fully appreciate. She’s funny, generous, and supportive of various organizations that resonate with her. Blake is a true feminist, demanding the same respect that men get, and speaking up for what’s right in her heart. I have admired her work and followed her path for many years now and I can’t wait to see what else she accomplishes. Thank you, Blake Lively, for teaching me to not take life too seriously and to always remember to chase my dreams.

4. Michelle Obama

Our beloved first-lady, oh my how we miss having you in the White House. There is a specific elegance yet fierceness that is uniquely her’s. She is kind but bold, strong yet compassionate, and of course an overall loving person. Michelle is independent in all the right ways, setting a wonderful example for young women everywhere. I always enjoy hearing about her successes and watching her lead with ease. You just know she’s going to continue to do great things for the deserving people of this country. Thank you, Michelle Obama, for showing us that even powerful women can lead with a kind heart and an inspired mind.

5. Emma Watson

One of the newest faces of feminism and soon to be one of the greatest. Emma Watson is remarkable because she will always stand by her passions. She knows in her heart what’s right and that’s what leads her life. From her love of literature to her honest nature, watching her grow since her days as Hermione has been incredible. She is intelligent, purposely keeps her private life out of the public eye, and talks genuinely about her beliefs. She’s not even 30 years old yet and already has made a difference in gender equality. Thank you, Emma Watson, for being a stand up voice in our generation and confidently fighting for women everywhere.

6. Bell Hooks 

I may not know too much about her personally, but I have studied bell hooks’ work in various classes and am always amazed at her insight. She is a true feminist, fighting for both gender and race equality. bell is extremely intelligent, passionate, and ambitiously tackles topics that others would deem too much to take on. She has greatly contributed to fighting for the rights of all women, calling for an end to both oppression and sexism. Thank you, bell hooks, for using your talent as an author and activist to further the feminist movement and lead by example.

7. Coco Chanel

I first learned about Coco Chanel in middle school and have loved her ever since. Coco was stubborn in the best ways. She knew what women deserved and what she wanted to create as a fashion designer; naturally, she combined the two. She created attire for women that didn’t fit the traditional “lady” molds. She loved strong pant suits and used her designs to help liberate women through fashion. She was pretty badass to say the least. Thank you, Coco Chanel, for being ahead of your time and using your love for fashion to empower women and break boundaries.

There are endless inspirations out there when it comes to women we should aspire to be. Whether it’s your mom, grandmother, or a famous celebrity, it’s important to recognize the women in your life who have made a difference. After all, the new movement is all about women empowering women, is it not? Cheers loves, may we all find our own passions that lead us to be inspirations.

Autumn believes in a combination of hard work and magical thinking. True to her Libra ways, she embraces balance in all aspects of life and enjoys connecting with others. Specializing in Marketing Management, she thrives in helping brands build their platforms through authentic and inspiring content. Find more on Instagram: @aduslayy
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.