5 Perfectly Imperfect TV Sitcom Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Most TV shows aim to make couples with impossibly perfect relationships, but we love these shows for their depiction of relationships that are anything but ideal.

1. Chandler Bing and Monica Geller (Friends)

These two lovebirds began their relationship as friends and neighbors living in NYC, who drunkenly hooked up in London (romantic, right?). On many occasions, this relationship seemed rocky, due to Chandler’s fear of commitment and Monica’s longing for settling down. Fortunately, these two seemingly polar opposite views matched up like puzzle pieces throughout their romantic life, causing us to fall in love with them all the same.

2. Steven Hyde and Jackie Burkhart (That 70’s Show)

She was a rich girl, he was a poor boy. It’s like Titanic, except they hated each other. Miraculously, though, these hippies turned their hatred into passion when their fling began. Unfortunately for them, when the thrill and danger of their relationship had gone, the passion vanished as well, ultimately ruining this otherwise perfect romance.

3. Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly (The Office)

Ah, Jim and Pam. Their relationship was especially unique because every time their love was tested, it was situational. Pam’s engaged to another man? Jim declares his love for her, causing Pam to break the engagement off. They live far apart and don’t get to spend as much time together? Jim meets her halfway and proposes. Pam’s veil rips at the wedding? Jim cuts his tie in half to make it even. Yes, every time something went awry, it only proved their love further.

4. Nick Miller and Jessica Day (New Girl)

Though Nick and Jess started off as roommates, there was always an underlying spark between them. What made this relationship especially adorable was the fact that they could show their true quirky selves, from Jess’ childish charm to Nick’s awkward discomfort in basically every social situation. Despite this, somehow when these two got together it made perfect sense. And though this relationship ultimately didn’t last, we’re still hoping for a Nick-and-Jess reunion in the future.

5. Andy Dwyer and April Ludgate (Parks and Recreation)

By all accounts, these two are complete opposites. Andy has a playful and lighthearted outlook on life, while April has a much darker frame of mind. The couple is seen at their best when they channel their alter egos: Burt Macklin, FBI agent, and Janet Snakehole, posh damsel in distress. No matter what, Andy and April always have the most fun when they are together, making it easy to love them.  

Who are your favorite TV couples?

Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.