5 Female-Led Books and Movies Coming Out This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s no secret that women are underrepresented onscreen and in literature. This summer, support a few female authors and artists when you catch a movie or buy a new book.

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

Angie Thomas’ first book, The Hate U Give, reached critical acclaim and earned a top spot on the New York Times Young Adult Bestseller List. Her second novel, On the Come Up, is a highly anticipated release that will hit the shelves on June 5th.

Sex and the City and Us: How Four Single Women Changed the Way We Think, Live, and Love by Jennifer Armstrong

I never got into SATC, but Armstrong’s book is sure to make hardcore fans extremely happy. Sex and the City and Us is a reflection of the award-winning series and the cultural impact that followed. It is expected to be released June 5th.

Ocean’s 8 – June 8th

Ocean’s 8 is an all female spin-off of The Ocean’s Trilogy (Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve, Ocean’s Thirteen). The cast is amazing- Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Rihanna, Awkwafina, and Sarah Paulson will be sharing the screen in one of the most anticipated movies of the summer.

Old in Art School: A Memoir of Starting Over by Nell Painter

After retirement, Dr. Nell Irvin Painter returned to school (in her sixties) to pursue a MFA in painting. In her memoir, Old in Art School, Painter reflects on challenges she has experienced as an older woman and the expectations of artists.

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again – July 20

This summer, the Mamma Mia sequel we’ve all been waiting for will arrive in theatres on July 20th. I’m a huge fan of the first movie, and can’t wait to see what happens in this one. Plus, Cher as Meryl Streep’s mother?! Incredible.

Happy reading and viewing!

Eimile Bowden is a senior at Emmanuel College and is the President of the Her Campus Emmanuel chapter. She is a double major in English Writing and Literature and Theatre Arts. Eimile's other hobbies include tie dying, rewatching grey's anatomy, and playing with dogs. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.