3 Scenes from the Book that Love, Simon Nailed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If somehow you’ve missed it, the first gay-teenage romance ever put on by a major production company hit theaters a few weeks ago. Love, Simon is a beautiful story about a young boy named Simon Spier coming to terms with his sexuality. We follow his journey as he begins an online correspondence with another closeted gay kid at his school who goes by “Blue”. Simon deals with coming out, first love, and friendship troubles over the course of the film, and it’s done in a way that is relatable to everyone. However amazing this film is, it is based off an equally incredible book titled Simon vs. The Homosapien’s Agenda, written by Becky Albertalli. While the movie did take some creative liberties, there are some scenes the movie absolutely nailed, and that’s what this article is about. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

1. Simon Coming Out To Abby

The dialogue is nearly identical to the book, and you really feel how nervous Simon is right before he finally says that he is gay out loud. Nick Robinson, the actor that plays Simon, does an amazing job at capturing the struggle Simon goes through, and overall the scene is perfect and sweet.

2. Simon Confronting Martin Again, the dialogue is perfect and the actors do an incredible job. The movie even uses its one F-bomb in this scene to provide to perfect amount of angst and anger that exactly resembles the book. The scene is heartbreaking, beautifully shot, and provides the movie with a touch of sadness that will stay with you until the end.

3. Simon meets Blue

While it was in some ways different than in the book, the reveal and the feeling you get when you see it is the same as the book. Discovering who Blue is fills you with butterflies, and produced audible gasps from people in the audience surrounding me. The eventual reveal is built up beautifully, and I would be surprised if you didn’t cry while watching it (much like I did).

This movie is so important, and if you haven’t seen it yet, go see it. If you haven’t read the book, take the time to do so also. You vote with your dollars everyday, and if you want more representation in films, go see this movie, I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Victoria Dias

Emmanuel '20

Theater and Communications Major. Dog Lover. Amateur Writer. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.