10 Thoughts I Had When I FINALLY Decided to Watch Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Once the rush of finals and the holidays were over and I found myself bored in my free time, I took what any college student would see as the next logical step in finding school vacation entertainment: picking a new show to binge-watch on Netflix. This was no easy feat due the large collection of shows I have already watched, and the even larger amount of shows I had wanted to watch that the cold and unfeeling Netflix Gods removed too soon. Gilmore Girls instantly caught my eye because it includes all of my favorite things: a quirky town, a beloved coffee shop, and most importantly, strong female characters. Here are ten of the first thoughts I had when I started it:

1. I need to move to Stars Hollow ASAP. This fictional Connecticut town instantly captured my heart with its many traditions, adorable stores, and loud and vivid townspeople. Its tight sense of community makes me feel like I’m spending time with people I have known for years whenever I watch it.

2. Lorelai is goals in every way. She’s a hot mom? Worked her way up at her job at the Independence Inn from a maid to the manager as a single mother? And has a witty comeback to EVERYTHING?! My hope is that if I watch enough episodes, I will start developing her traits too.

3. What do I have to do to get perfect skin like Rory’s? Despite having the exact same hair and skin tone combination as Rory, I never wake up looking like a glowing princess like she does. I am beyond envious of her seemingly effortless looks.

4. Despite not knowing the first thing about clothes, makeup, boys, or having fun, mean girl Paris would put Regin George to shame. What is this girl’s damage? Yes she’s intense about schoolwork and her behavior is a product of deeply rooted insecurities blah blah blah, but Rory did nothing to Paris to deserve this. In fact, Rory often went out of her way to be nice to her. You would never catch me being mean to someone who scored me tickets to a Bangles concert.

5. I feel way more motivated to do schoolwork when I’m pretending to be Rory climbing her way up her Chilton class and preparing to apply to Harvard. Nothing makes some mandatory reading more intriguing than pretending you have to put on a prep school uniform and take an exam that will determine your acceptance to an Ivy League College the next day.

6. I have no idea what I would do if my mom was like Lane’s mom. Watching Lane interact with her mom made me eternally grateful for my mom, but at least in a way Lane’s mom’s strict rules are a sign of how much she cares. Plus, Lane has definitely gotten some experience practicing creativity and stealth from learning how to work around her mom’s strict demands.

7. Chad Michael Murray is WAY more charming in One Tree Hill, Another Cinderella Story, Freaky Friday, and literally any other show or film he’s in than he is as Tristan in Gilmore Girls. Watching how rude he is to Rory made him instantly less attractive, and it takes A LOT for me to feel that way.

8. When will someone notice and fall for me while I’m reading the way Dean did for Rory? In my many experiences of reading in coffee shops and a the library, I have never encountered someone who found me mysterious and beautiful for it. Speaking of coffee shops…

9. I am now justifying blowing all of my money at my favorite local coffee shop with the fact that Rory and Lorelai go to Luke’s for pretty much every meal. I can’t even remember the last time my parents were supportive when I told them I was headed to my favorite coffee shop instead of lecturing me about spending money, so the idea that Lorelai actually wants to meet up with Rory at Luke’s almost every day is mind blowing.

10. I’ve been dancing for 18 years, and I’m pretty disappointed I’ve never had Miss Patty for a dance instructor. I’ve had amazing dance teachers that I am forever grateful for, but none have the crazy stories, crushes on younger men, or all of the town gossip that Miss Patty does.

This show instantly made me laugh, and melted my heart. I recommend it to anyone! I have fallen in love with the town, its variety of crazy characters, and it is the perfect break from the reality of winter break or school. If you are interested, check it out on Netflix ASAP because you never know if it will one day get taken away from us. Happy watching!

Victoria Harding is a senior at Emmanuel College majoring in communications with a minor in management. She is a fourth year Her Campus at Emmanuel member, and is thrilled to be HCE's President this year! Victoria is also a Resident Assistant, member of Emmanuel College's 1804 Society, a residence hall desk assistant, and intern at MEDIAGIRLS. Follow her on Twitter @VictoriaRose_29 and Instagram @victoriahardingg.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.